Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Red face new to this all

I am new to sw and would like to get started i am looking at a oceanic bio cube 29 gallon tank. I have been researching on this tank so far i see to get rid of the bio balls and put LR in it. I am wanting to set-up a reef tank and have seen that the protien skimmer for that tank is not worth to much any recomadations on that? I plan on getting the tank, salt, LR, and substrate this weekend and have read how to cycle the tank with the raw shrimp. I see its a long process. Is there any process I am missing so far.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

good idea on looking into an all in one tank, seems to make it easier to get into the hobby with somewhat lower maintenance and confusion of buying equipment seperately.

you shouldnt need a protein skimmer on a tank that small at all as long as you keep up with maintenance, the bioball for LR rubble swap is a good idea as well. and good for you going the fishless cycling route! its the most humane way to cycle a tank, and trust me, cycling with fish isnt any faster, if dont correctly both take ~3-4 weeks.

everything in the beginning looks good, the only thing i recommend is to get sand and not crushed coral or gravel and to put your LR in first so it sits on the actual bottom of the tank

oh and be sure to post plenty of pictures as you go along! welcome to AA!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

I just rec'd my Red Sea Max 250L(65 gal) today and am no SW expert. But I did research all the others like Oceanic, JBJ & RSM. All are good IMO & according to reviews. My LFS owner says the Oceanic skimmer is OK. I saw the negative Oceanic skimmer posts too but suspect newbies who had nothing to skim or didn't adjust/observe/repeat.

Red Sea makes a 35 gallon that is excellent, but costs more. The PS is for real.

Unless you have a LR curing set up ready to go, you may want to hold off on the LR this weekend. Set everything up, observe, test & go from there.

Good luck. Hoping you post details of your adventure! N83259
Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

any considerations on a type of live sand?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Don't do live sand. It really isn't live in a sealed bag on the shelf, believe me. Dry, aragonite sand rinsed well will do.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

just marine sand rinsed and dried thourghly
Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
there aren't any good skimmers for nano tanks. just do regular water changes and save the money for corals.
add the live rock immediately, not later. you will want the live rock( surface area) in the tank when the tank is cycling.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #8

I'm a SW newbie w/o much hands on skimmer knowlege. But I saw a mature Oceanic bio cube w/ skimmer first hand. It had some funky stuff in there so I must assume it was doing something. LFS owner said OK but not great. He advised careful, low bio loads & water changes as you (Mr X) did w/ this product. I did want a really effective PS plus a bigger tank so bought something else. But all in all, the Oceanic looked pretty good for the price. And I can't remember exactly but their PS was really inexpensive. I'm not recommending it per se just telling you what I saw & was told.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yeah..i know..i've seen them.it's very hard to make a skimmer that functions really well and is very small( non-obtrusive). i feel you can do just as good a job without the obtrusive skimmer on a tank under 30 gallons.
no offense meant.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #10

i found the oceanic skimmer online for like 20 dollars and even though it probably aint that good still has to do some good but even with it i am gonna do the water changes and keep it clean. but for the price i figured it couldnt hurt.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com