New to this site! Wanted some input.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HustlinApples

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just moved into my new house and I'm in the process of setting up a 90 gallon marine tank.
We've got the live sand and live rock and letting it run for a few days (until the local fish store gets more stock). I was wondering if anybody could give me some input on compatibility of some fish I'm thinking about putting in. So far we just have the snowflake eel from the move, and wanted to add some nice centerpiece fish and some smaller schooling fish. Vibrant colors a must! A couple ideas we had in mind were definitely a Dwarf Lionfish, a cool angel, and some other cool looking fish. If anybody knows of any fish that could school and hold their own in the tank it would be awesome for some feedback or a stock list you might consider. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, HustlinApples

You definitely don't want to put peaceful fish in there with an eel or lionfish. Is it gonna be a FOWLR or reef?

You could do the dwarf lion and then have a dwarf angel, and some other medium sized fish like certain wrasses, maroon clowns, a small tang like a kole or tomini. Keep it to a semi aggressive reef with not that many fish since the bioload with the eel and lion will be fairly large

Just moved into my new house and I'm in the process of setting up a 90 gallon marine tank.
We've got the live sand and live rock and letting it run for a few days (until the local fish store gets more stock). I was wondering if anybody could give me some input on compatibility of some fish I'm thinking about putting in. So far we just have the snowflake eel from the move, and wanted to add some nice centerpiece fish and some smaller schooling fish. Vibrant colors a must! A couple ideas we had in mind were definitely a Dwarf Lionfish, a cool angel, and some other cool looking fish. If anybody knows of any fish that could school and hold their own in the tank it would be awesome for some feedback or a stock list you might consider. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, HustlinApples

welcome to the forum , congrats on your new home , I see you set up a 90g and said it was running a few days , keep a eye on your parameters for a few days , I'm assuming this was a pre established tank just hate to see anything go crazy on you , I would give the BB a chance to build back up not knowing how long things were exposed to air , always best to be over cautious than under cautious , once you know things are good add slow just like it was a new tank ,
look forward to seeing some picts

welcome to the forum , congrats on your new home , I see you set up a 90g and said it was running a few days , keep a eye on your parameters for a few days , I'm assuming this was a pre established tank just hate to see anything go crazy on you , I would give the BB a chance to build back up not knowing how long things were exposed to air , always best to be over cautious than under cautious , once you know things are good add slow just like it was a new tank ,
look forward to seeing some picts

Thanks for the warm welcome. And thanks so much for the post and advice. I will keep you posted.

Hey everybody, so I got my water tested after letting the tank run for a week or so and the levels were a little off still. So I bought a blue devil damsel to put in, in order to see if the tank can sustain life. He seems to be doing good so far. Questions is. Will the snowflake eel kill the damsel once I pick him up from the store that's holding him for me?
Thanks!

just research...i don't recommend anyone running a marine tank without doing it. go to the beginner's area of liveaquaria and research the different fish and what they'd need and who they get along with. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but the order you put fish in a tank is peaceful, semi-aggressive, then the aggressive. I'm no one special but if you'd like to chat pm me, we also have a camera on our tank

We are semi new ourselves, but with a lot of research you can have a successful tank. For example...your not supposed to put a condy anemone in a tank that hasn't been set up for a year. We did it a 4 and ½ months after setting up our tank and it's been 6 months and he's beautiful and healthy. I in no way am suggesting you go out and do it, all I am saying is

RESEARCH is key!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
my snowflake ate my yellowtail blue devil but he leaves the chromis alone.

I agree. At first the snowflake was eyeballing the damsel, but he's since left him alone. My chromis and damsel went at it for a minute or 2. No damage to either fish. But now they get along. Plus the chromis is always swimming with the tang. They're bff's [emoji23]

I'm really glad to hear that!! My 4 stripe damsel is chasing my blue fin damsels, we put him in the refugium, put him back in and wola good boy again...lol

I'm a big fan of powder browns. Keep an eye on the eel. They will eat what it can. That can include small fish and your fingers.

My buddy who's tank it is hand feeds the eel. So have I. He'll nip you haha. He seems to be doing good with the damsel and chromis.

I'm really glad to hear that!! My 4 stripe damsel is chasing my blue fin damsels, we put him in the refugium, put him back in and wola good boy again...lol

Good news! Yea, I was relieved that after they sized each other up they are friends now

Back
Top Bottom