Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Hart62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post


Heres a sump picture for you I just drew up
Ok, so I talk to the hubs and he isn't too keen on drilling the tank. What do you think about the HOB overflow boxes connected to the sump? I've tried to do some research on it. Also I'm thinking a 30 or 40 gallon (if I can get it to fit in the stand with some modification), is this sufficient? What type of filter media and where? does the sump require one or two pumps? Some versions I've looked at had two return lines. Is there an issue with drain lines or return lines getting stopped up and causing flooding?
__________________

__________________
Hart62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart62 View Post
Ok, so I talk to the hubs and he isn't too keen on drilling the tank. What do you think about the HOB overflow boxes connected to the sump? I've tried to do some research on it. Also I'm thinking a 30 or 40 gallon (if I can get it to fit in the stand with some modification), is this sufficient? What type of filter media and where? does the sump require one or two pumps? Some versions I've looked at had two return lines. Is there an issue with drain lines or return lines getting stopped up and causing flooding?

Ok well drilling the tank is safer then using HOB overflows. They can be done alright but must be checked up on regularly they are not set and forget like a drilled tank is.

You dont need any filter media in the sump. there should be a max of 4 things in the sump. Heater, Protien Skimmer, 1 Return Pump, Filter Sock. When buying the protein skimmer or using the one you have reseach what the GPH of the protien skimmer is then you buy a return pump that matches the skimmer. You only need one return.

There is not much of a risk at all with return lines getting stuck if the tank is drilled the issue with HOB overflows is that they can lose siphon. I used a CRP90 on a 40g for 6 months without issue but you need to set it up properly and add an AquaLifter Pump. I can go into more detail about that if you want but if you dont want to go Hang on the back over flow then theres no point in explaining it.

The husband may not be keen on drilling the tank but tell him if hes spending the money on this tank and he wants it done right it needs to get drilled. Hes a man he will understand. Men want things done the right way when we spend money on something.

Your risks of a flood are 1/1000000th with a drilled tank compared to a HOB overflow.
__________________

__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Hart62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post

Ok well drilling the tank is safer then using HOB overflows. They can be done alright but must be checked up on regularly they are not set and forget like a drilled tank is.

You dont need any filter media in the sump. there should be a max of 4 things in the sump. Heater, Protien Skimmer, 1 Return Pump, Filter Sock. When buying the protein skimmer or using the one you have reseach what the GPH of the protien skimmer is then you buy a return pump that matches the skimmer. You only need one return.

There is not much of a risk at all with return lines getting stuck if the tank is drilled the issue with HOB overflows is that they can lose siphon. I used a CRP90 on a 40g for 6 months without issue but you need to set it up properly and add an AquaLifter Pump. I can go into more detail about that if you want but if you dont want to go Hang on the back over flow then theres no point in explaining it.

The husband may not be keen on drilling the tank but tell him if hes spending the money on this tank and he wants it done right it needs to get drilled. Hes a man he will understand. Men want things done the right way when we spend money on something.

Your risks of a flood are 1/1000000th with a drilled tank compared to a HOB overflow.
There's no one in town that will drill the tank and he said he isn't going to do it and risk busting time tank. So, looks like HOB it will be. He's a plumber so he said he's going to put check valves in so the risk of flooding will be low. If you don't mind explain away.
__________________
Hart62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart62 View Post
There's no one in town that will drill the tank and he said he isn't going to do it and risk busting time tank. So, looks like HOB it will be. He's a plumber so he said he's going to put check valves in so the risk of flooding will be low. If you don't mind explain away.
check valves will not help revent flooding in the area thats the highest risk for a HOB overflow.

Heres how a HOB overflow works.



The red arrow is the flow of water though the overflow. The issue comes into play right at the top under the green arrow. In that portion you will begin to develop air as the siphon runs and the flow will get slower and slower and your return pump will over flow the tank.

However you can solve this issue with a small water pump. What you do is buy an AquaLifter and a Prefilter (Ill link at bottom). In the overflow theres a little spicket you can see under the green arrow. Well this is the size of a standard airline tube and what you do is plug the airline tub into the spiket, the airline tube goes into the prefilter, then into the aqualifter, then a 2nd airline comes out of the aqualifter and you place that back into the overflow.

What the aqualifter does is keeps the siphon at its peek and doesnt allow air to collect in the top of the overflow. The prefilter is imortant because it collects all the gunk before entering the pump. The pump can get clogged without the prefilter and fail. Ill link a couple pictures of mine and you will have a better understanding.

The Red Is water going from the Overflow into the pump
The Green is going from the pump back into the overflow


CPR CS90 Overflow
AquaLifter Prefilter and Airline

Sounds kind of confusing but it is really easy.
__________________

__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1.5g, advice, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.