new/used hexagon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I come home to a free hexagon fish tank and stand sitting on my porch. My buddy got tired of it and left it on my doorstep basically. Anyway i have never attempted saltwater so that is what i plan to do with this tank. The problem is this tank had no hood or light. Any ideas on where to find a nice hood and light kit. Also how do i figure out what size i neef?? Lastly what kind of lighting is required to grow live rock or coral??

What are the tank measurement? Depth being your most important. As for a lid and light, u can choose many options to lighting and possibly keep it an open top or have a piece of glass cut for the tank. They normally run $20-$30 at a glass shop, just give them a template. As for the light, you can use a clip on or hanging led or a pendent mh light. All depends on what coral you'd like to have. Just keep in mind the deeper the tank, the stronger the light. You'll also need good water movement so map out how you'll lay the rock and where you'll put the power heads.

This tank is mostly tall obviously since it is hexagon so i am looking to do white sand bottom and a tall piece of live rock. I plan to add only a coulpe if fish and maybe one or two crab or star fish. I need to figure out lighting because i dont have a hood. Finding that has proven to be quite a challenge in it self. I still need to do some work to the wood base and tank trim because i dont like the color it is now. (light oak...yuck.) i plan to sand the botom base and stain it then paint the trim of the tank black. I will post pics of the before and when i get it set up up will post after pics.

Thinking about a change in plans...along with this tank i also got a 10 gal for free and i am contemplating using the hex tank for two cichlids. Maybe 2 oscars or 1 oscar and 1 convict. I would use the 10 gal as a guppie breeding tank to feed the cichlids. Any feedback...???

I would guess that is a 20. We have a 35. We got ours with out a hood. We searched for a long time and never found anything. Our LFS said they stopped making them and if you can find one they will be wry pricey ($300+) we just cut a piece of glass to fit. We ended up tearing it down 2 weeks ago because we were having so many problems with our perimeters and cyrobacteria. We still have our 75 with no problems. In our experience hexagons are the most difficult because you can't fit a sump in the stand. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom