new used tank .. any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kas1a

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum .. so if i'm adding this post in the wrong section .. i'm sorry :)

Alrighty, so here's the first step we need to get through to set up our very first saltwater tank.

We just purchased a tank from a friend of mine. It's a 37 gallons tank that was used for freshwater fish.

A few months ago (june-ish or so) she moved from her place and had to put the tank into storage (she gave the fishies away to a good home :) ) She was told to leave about an inch of water in it alone with about a capful of bleach to keep parasites from "making a home" in the tank.

So we were thinking that 2-3 weeks of conditioning the water should get the bleach out and then we could start the cycling process. Because of the bleach and whatnot we thought it would be best to cycle the tank for about a month (a fishless cycle) just to make sure.

Having said that, anyone have any suggestions? tips? warnings?

Check out a good book for starters. Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" would work. All except the fish cycliing part...

On the bleach issue, I think that'll have no bearing on the length of your cycle at all.

SInce you gotta tank, now you'll need lights, filtration, rocks, substrate, heater, etc. Read up first, you'll either change your mind, or better yet, get into this thing more informed and enjoy the experience more. Lotta good article at this site also for beginners. Good luck.

And welcome to AA! :smilecolros:

What Austinsdad said...

read before you start, the more informed you are the better your aquarium will function and the more money you will save in the long run.

Also, go slow, nothing good comes from rushing in this hobby. :D

Best Wishes!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom