Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New Valentini

I just got this guy today. He was swimming around at first for awhile, then he just hung out on the bottom of the tank in one spot. He swam some more, now he's hanging out on the bottom again. Okay, well since this pic, he's moved around a bit.

Question: Should I be concerned? Should I medicate him with Maracyn or Maracyn 2. I don't see ick or anything, he was at the pet store for about four weeks and seemed fine. Maybe he's just stressed?

Oh, yeah, I added Prime (like Stress Coat) to the water when I put him in.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5.0
PH - 8.0 (I added a buffer today).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valentini.jpg (14.3 KB, 203 views)

Old 12-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you acclimate him?

Old 12-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Uh-oh... the same way I do most of my fish. I put the bag in the tank for about 15 minutes, then moved him into the tank water. Is he special... did he need more involved acclimation?

FYI, he's doing much better now, he's swimming around and even picking at the live rock and eating nori.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eating_nori.jpg (12.1 KB, 191 views)
Old 12-27-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really, even though fish aren't as sensitive to enviromental changes, they still need some more thorough acclimation. I drip my fish the same as I do my corals as a fail safe method, but not always as long. He's probably slowing adjusting to the new tank. I hope he continues to improve.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

He seems fine now. Swimming normally and picking for food. I just read a resource on liveaquaria.com about acclimating. It included two methods, one for drip and one for a second option.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put together a drip system for acclimating in the future. He probably had specific gravity change shock!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Possibly, or PH shock or any number of other stresses. I'm glad to hear he is doing well. Drip method is my method of choice for everything and one that I would strongly suggest.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

One more question, when I put a new fish in quarantine, then when it's time to move it to the main tank, do I need to drip again? I try to keep all my levels close to the same in all my tanks. But after seeing this guy suffer, maybe it's worth a second drip as well. I'm leaving new fish in QT for at least four weeks now.

This guy, fortunately, has his own tank and won't ever need to be moved again.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
steve-s

The main concern when acclimating new fish are pH, temp and salinity. A common practice among fish sellers is to maintain a lower SG towards the 1.018 area. This can somewhat help the fish with bacterial issues and saves them on salt. The problem on your end is that if you have a higher salinity (which should be the case), the fish cannot easily adjust to increases in salinity all that quickly. Ideally, what you want to do is introduce the fish to a cycled QT that can be matched to the transport water, ie salinity/pH. The temp is easily compensated by floating the bag before opening for 10-15 min. This means much less acclimation time and an easier transition for the fish.

Once the 4 week QT time has passed and barring any treatments that may be needed, you can then do daily water changes using the main displays water at a rate of 15-20% each day. This will allow the new fish to gradually adjust to the mains water chem, the water changes on the main won't hurt either.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi, Steve... long time no talk. Thanks for the tips. I keep my main tanks (well, all of my tanks) at 1.024. I read somewhere along the line that inverts needed a little higher sg, so that's what I ended up with. I'm printing the info for future reference.

Tags
val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com