Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New, wanting to setup a saltwater tank

Hello all,

A little background . I have had many freshwater tanks and 1 saltwater tank but the last one I setup was back in the 80's in Europe. Wife and I have decided that we would love to have a big Salt water tank in our living room. We have lots of room, Our house is a old converted Barn.

We were thinking a 125 gal tank but would like to here comments from others.

We live in Central Texas where it gets very hot but keep our living room in summer to about 79 deg and winter to 65 deg.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 11-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds very nice!I would love to have a 125...but alas I am in studio apt so my 45 will have to do for now.I am cycling it now.Welcome aboard!What would you like to know?This site has some great articles for beginners and liveaquaria.com is a great site to look at the fish on your stocking list.What tank size is suitable and a compatibility chart so you know what fish get along.Good luck and keep us updated!

Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lots of foot work ahead, but checkout liveaquaria and reef2go and see what kinds of fish/corals you're interested in. That will guide you as far as tank size and livestock compatibility. Keep in mind sumps are a great way to filter so you may want to consider that into your plan. I have several nano tanks and a 110g (all saltwater). Have a look at "shallow reef" tanks, although very pricey, they offer a great range of livestock and are very easy to care for. Best of luck.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA, this site is great
I have just begun my journey into the saltwater world and I have a little 10 gallon nano tank going. Already in the planning and beginning stages of a 90g w/50g sump. I do all my fish & coral research at liveaquaria.com. I really look forward to seeing the progress of your 125 gallon with pictures
Old 11-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criptix View Post
Sounds very nice!I would love to have a 125...but alas I am in studio apt so my 45 will have to do for now.I am cycling it now.Welcome aboard!What would you like to know?This site has some great articles for beginners and liveaquaria.com is a great site to look at the fish on your stocking list.What tank size is suitable and a compatibility chart so you know what fish get along.Good luck and keep us updated!
Thanks,

I have been reading a thread about a new install.. Just trying to figure all I will need.

Tim
Old 11-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks all,
I'm going to spend the next few weeks reading and doing research. We do not have much of a store for SW here where I live. Petco has some but looks like I will be traveling to Austin about 60 miles south.

Tim

Tags
ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, setup, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com