Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2004, 01:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mike...You can use the bioball chamber as a mini-fudge if you want. You would just need to add some light. Put in LS, or mud, a few large pieces of LR, mangroves and stuff. You can grwo calupera algea in there. That helps with nitrate removal. If you are having trouble finding LR rubble keep loking. You may end up just buying regular LR from the LFS and smashing it with a hammer into rubble. It does not have to be high quality LR as it is just going into the sump.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those sound like some great ideas Lando. In the bioball compartment, how would I keep the LS or mud in there without it running into the sump? There appears to be wholes in there where the water trickles over right now.
With the LR rubble, or LR in general, do I need to put that underneath the bioball compartment so it is completely submerged? Thanks for the info.

Mike

Old 11-10-2004, 02:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have two pics in my gallery of the LR rubble in my sump. They were taken when I had about 25lbs of rubble. It will give you an idea of what to do. Do you currently have a sump? Can you post a pic or two?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll check your gallery out. I have a wet/dry 125G that I am wanting to use for the skimmer and pumps. I just want to get rid of the bioballs since it could be a nitrate problem. I have been using the canister up to this point, and the nitrates have been 0 thus far. The only reason I got it was to get the equipment out of the main tank and into the wet/dry sump. I'll see if I can post some pics tonight if I get a chance. Thanks

Mike
Old 11-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much LR do you have in your 90 gal.? If you have 150lbs or more with a DSB you may be able ot get by wihout adding anything to the sump. You can just use it for a place to hide equipment and to add water volume to your main tank. Some filter media in there would be my vote, however.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right now, I only have about 65lbs. of LR. I am planning on adding more down the road, but I have spent my budget for the month already on lighting and wet/dry. The wife is getting aggravated with me.
I am going to check another lfs on the way home to see if they will part with their rubble or not. If not, then I am going to remove the bioballs and keep the canisters running until I can get some.

Mike
Old 11-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

the reason I like the LR rubble is because it fits in the sump well and it is free! Or at least very inexpensive and you still get the great biofiltration benefits of expensive LR.

Tags
dry, filter, wet, wet dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com