Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
NEWB ADVICE - 40 gallon saltwater plans/questions

Hello Everyone,

I am new to saltwater aquariums. I currently have a 40 gallon FRESHWATER tank (picture shown). I spoke with my local fish store and they will take all of my fish and plants as I plan to upgrade to saltwater.

My Vision:
Beautiful rocks, 2 clown fish (possibly breed them), 1 star fish and 1 anemone. Nothing crazy I don't want to spend a million hours testing it and cleaning it.

My Questions:
1) Can I keep my gravel from my freshwater tank for the saltwater tank? Aka do I need sand?
2) how many pounds of live rock should I buy? 40?
3) I found a place online selling Purple live rock which is gorgeous... Is this ok to start with?
4) how do I go about buying mating clownfish?
5) besides salt and hydrometer what other supplies do I need?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-501714759.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	147422

Jlabonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. You need to use live sand. Do not use gravel.
2. A good rule of thumb is 1 lb per gallon. If you so not have a sump or are running a skimmer you will want 1.5 lbs per gallon.

3. Don't buy purple rock. Unless it is purple due to coraline algae. To keep cost down you can use 50% live rock and 50% dry rock. Within a couple weeks the dry rock will become alive and the coraline algae will spread over it over the next couple months. Dry rock is only 2-3$ per pound at bulkreefsupplysupply.com.

4. Most aquarium stores sell mated pairs. You can also order a mated pair from an online website.

5. Get a reef essentials test kit that tests calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. Also you will want a two part solution to add calcium and alkalinity. Make sure to have adequate lighting for the anemone.

*I am trying to start a group buy from bulkreefsupplysupply.com . During this, their prices are lower than retail. Usually by 10-20%. You can get your sand, dry rock, and test kit cheaper than any store and with a discount if you so the group buy.

You need to create an account with BRS and PM me your email and last name and I will add you to the list. It will start on a Tuesday.

Aquaman024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't use gravel. The pieces are too big and detritus will get caught in it and then you'll have nitrate problems. Sand is better in SW tanks. It can be live sand or pool filter sand, whichever you like.
You can use as much or as little rock as you like the looks of. Some people like a lot of rock, other people like a minimalist look with more open swimming area. It's whatever you like. You're the one who's gonna be looking at it every day.
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote

40 gallon, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com