newb needs help identifying plants/corals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proverbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
the cycling for my 40 gal tank will be done pretty soon and i was planning to get some corals, but the lfs guy told me it wouldn't be a good idea since i don't havea chiller. i got these pictures from the galleries in AA and was wondering if you guys could help me identify some of the plants/corals. Thanks.

what is the banzai tree looking thing on the left side?
117893852.jpg

the pinkish tree looking things?
117893836.jpg

the green trees in the sand?
117893825.jpg

the green seaweed looking thing in the middle? (it looks fake)
117893811.jpg

i'm guessing that the two plants in the middle are fake?
117893872.jpg

I'll take a stab at this.

The first pic looks like a type of xenya.
As does the second picture.
Third pic is shaving brushes.
fourth is some type of macro, possibly feather caulerpa.
last pic, definitely fakes. :D

cool. thanks Fluff.

are these particular plants expensive? it should be cheaper then corals, correct?

Why a chiller? What is the temp of your tank? Does it get hot in your home during the summer? Do you run AC?
Souns like the LFS is lookign to make some more $$$$ off of you. If your tank is going to be too hot for coral then fish wont do much better...
Tell us about your tank before you buy a chiller...

I live in socal, it gets real hot here in the summer and I don't even need a chiller on the 2nd story of my home. I just run extra fans in my room.

well, i also live in so.cali and it does get very hot in my house during the summer and we rarely use the AC, which is why i was worried.
i actually thought the guy was honest because i would have left the store with some corals, but he advised me not to get the corals unless i decided to get a chiller. but from dragon's response, it doesn't seem like i need a chiller. but the problem i have is that my aquarium is between the entrance of my house and the kitchen, and i don't have room to put a fan there (my house is pretty small).
but what's weird is that seaham is saying that the fish won't do much better than the corals in hot weather - so i'm second guessing the 'aquarium knowledge' of the LFS guy.

how hot does your tank get in the summer? seaham is right.. hi temps arent good for fish either.. AC'ing the room that the tank is in is the best way to go to get the temperatures down in the tank..

Ya, if you can keep the tank temps at 83 max in the summer you should be perfectly fine. You can purchase AC wall units for as little as 150 bucks at homedepot and lowes. I would look at a chiller as a last resort.

well, i just got my 40 gal JEBO tank, so i don't know how hot the tank is going to be. all i know is that my house gets really hot in the summer and its an older house so we don't have AC.
but lfs guy was right about coral needing colder water than the fish, right?

oh, and right now, the temp has not seemed to move from 74 degrees ever since i set up the tank.

Back
Top Bottom