newb with a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

payner22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all, i have never set up a salt water aquarium before but i am wanting to fianlly set one up with fish and a reef. I have a 35 gallon tank that i bought new 2 years ago but hasnt seen water ever. Also i have a buddy i work with who had a sw aquarium but went to collage and when he came back... well to say the least it has seen better days so he is going to sell me all the equipment for it there is still rocks in it and i am not shure of the condition of them i know there is still water in the tank but it isnt full so i dont know if the filter and everything is running so if the rocks were just sitting in water with no filtration would i still be able to reuse the rocks.

I was also curious as too exacly what equipment is required i have been reading up as much as i can and i know i need proper lighting a filter or two and a hydrometer and test equipment, i am not shure if i need a protein skimmer or a sump?

I have a 10g that i could use as a sump or a QT which ever one is more importent

any advise and as much of it as possible is very much appreciated so thany you in advance.

step 1: read The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

this is gonna answer 99% of your questions, including a lot you didn't know you needed to ask ;)

I recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer, simply because they are far more accurate, and a lot quicker to get a reading with.

protein skimmers are a good idea...not required, but they make water quality better, and thus maintaining the tank is a little easier.
A 10gallon sump probably isn't worth it to setup...if it was a spare 20gallon, I'd say go for it.

Those rocks may not be live anymore...if they're dead, yo ucan scrub them down and re-use them as base rock.

ok so to start the rocks if they are not live anymore is too put them in the water after i clean them also i read somewere that i AM not supposed to put sand in when i am starting the rocks is this correct and how do i start the rocks do i need to maybe buy some live rocks to mix with them??

also when i am ready to add sand i have playsand at my work, i have not done the vinager test yet but if it is good then how much of the live sand do i need to mix with the play sand i have a rectangular 35g ?

Back
Top Bottom