Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

newbe

Hi Iv always wanted to start a salt water tank but I herd it was hard to do I can't afford all that crazy filtration I do have a 80 gallon tank with the hang on the back filter a air pump and heater can some one help get me started a cheap way lol thanxs

Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well you have most of the stuff you need. Now you need salt, hydrometer to test salinity, an ro/di water filter, maybe a protein skimmer but you can hold off on that for awhile if money is tight. Also is the hangon big enough for the tank, buckets for mixing, some test kit (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph ). Maybe some other can think of things I missed

Old 06-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ok, take out the hydrometer and replace it with a refractometer. They are actually accurate where hydrometers can screw you over with their inconsistencies. When starting a tank, you will need 1-1.5 lbs of live rock and 1 lbs of sand per gallon. This is where the bacteria will grow as you cycle your tank prior to adding livestock. It is a biological filter that will consume ammonia and nitrite, in the end producing nitrate.

Other than a master test kid, refractometer, salt, ro/di water (this will prevent algae issues later on), and a large bucket for mixing water for water changes I wouldn't worry about anything else until you are cycled. During that time, you can figure out if you want to be a fish only or a reef tank. This will define everything else you will need for your setup.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I'm going for a mix I want the natrual look I'm tierd of the boring cichlid tanks I've had and done it all lol I still have love for them but time for a change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com