Newbe after some advice pls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
:fish2: Hi I'm just getting ready to keep a SW fish tank for the first time. Hopefully also introducing some corals later if all goes well.

I have a Aquamarine 900 with MariSys series 2 filter (175L tank)

Am I best buying wave makers or power heads to circulate flows ? and how many am I likely to need in the tank.

Also whats your thoughts on live sand against crushed coral on the bed ?

Last of all, how much live rock should I buy and am I best getting the lot in one go so the tank just has the one large cycle ?

Many Thanks:thanks:

Chris

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I would recommend 2 powerheads for your tank, maybe 2 550 or 750 koralias. Unless you like the wave feature you can also do that, but I just use the powerheads the old fashioned way in my tanks. :)

I would go with sand over crushed coral, and the "live" bagged sand while it can be used, I'm of the mindset that theres not much "alive" in that sealed bag. lol

I would aim for a total of about 50lb of rock. You can buy 40lbs of base rock, or dead rock and the rest in "live rock" and it will seed the base rock. I would also say to get as much of your rock in at step one, makes it easier and better. If you buy live rock after the cycle you'll have to cure it in a separate container or tank. :)

Hope that helped some, and again welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom