Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfast View Post
I like Turbo and Cerith snails for CUC. Nassarius are also good for sand shifting.
picked up a few snails today... can't for the life of me remember the name of them, but when i got home and researched them, turns out that if they fall over on their backs they can't right themselves??

what about a black sea cucumber? the guy at the lfs was really trying to push one on us.. said it was the best cuc i could get??? what do you all think of that idea??

Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
astrea snail. they are ok. yep,if they are knocked off the glass or rock, they will need help, or they die.
don't get the cucumber. he doesn't know what he's talking about. many of them will nuke a tank if and when they die.
the tiger tail cucumber is supposed to be the only cucumber that doesn't poison the tank during it's early demise.

the API test is good for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok, thanks for the advice... i appriciate it! the guy at the lfs was really pushing it, and the cucumber was huge too, i don't even think he would fit in the tank!!

any other ideas as to what i can get for the green algae on the glass, it has gotten worse just in the last day.. pretty yucky...

also, how long should i leave my lights on during the day? the dude at the lfs told me 12 hrs, but that seems like a long time??
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how about an algae scraper?
as for the photo period, i like to try and mimic the natural day, so i run my lights a total of 12 hours, but the daylights about 10. actinic lighting would be used as a morning/evening transition. i believe you have those little leds in that fixture, right?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you are growing a fair bit of algae I would try to get your water chemistry under control before you add too much to the tank. Algae consumes nitrate and or phosphate. Nitrate and phosphate are common to over feeding but I think from reading your thread you are not doing that. Tap water quality usually changes by the season and usually has more phosphates in the spring and late fall. If you get rid if your phosphates and or nitrates, your algae will starve and die on it's own. Lastly your test kit is a master test kit... Is it a hard shell blue case ( made by Hagen) or an API kit? API makes the "saltwater master" and the "reef master" test kits. Hagen makes the big blue "master test kit" IMO... Hagen bad, API better, salifert would be the best dollars spent on a reliable kit without getting crazy expensive.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its the api...maybe I am feeding too much...I only have the 2 clowns and anenomie and 6 snails and 3 hermies

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com