Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

newbee.. a couple of ?'s and want to introduce my new tank :)

hello all!
I am not technacally a newbee to this site ( have freshwater) but a newbee to reef/salt

recently purchased a 24 gallon aquapod nano system off craigslist.. they guy who sold it to us was pretty knowalagable, and came and did the physical set up of the tank for us which was great, so we could understand how everything worked.

set up came with sunpod metal halide reef lite (2x 150 watt bulbs)
12x sunrise/lunar leds, a small aquafuge2, a maxijet pump, a heater, and the tank itself, along with live rock and live sand

the guy also threw in a really pretty greenish purple mushroom, and a cool coral frag (zooanthids)

so, anyway i did a lot of reading about how to cycle the tank etc, and went with the grocery store shrimp method, and had the spike and now all is well, perameters are good... so my questions to you guys are as follows:

now what?? i know i need to get a cleaning crew pretty soon, i am starting to have a tiny bit of algae growing on the front of the tank and a tiny bit on a piece of live rock. do i do that first before i do anything with new corals or fish or will they not have enough food yet??

if i can get corals or fish now, what do i start with? the guy at the lfs tried to talk me in to damsels, but everything i read about them are bad!! also, will my lights support most corals?

also, as far as the mushroom that came with the tank, he is starting to aim kind of downward, and even shriveling a little... do they like a lot of light or not so much, i did read that they don't like current, so i am pretty sure i need to move him out of the major current.. love this guy, so i don't want him to die

also, i have these cool anenemonie type things growing out of one of the pieces of live rock, i have looked online trying to compaire pics to these, but can't figure it out... can anyone identify? they don't look like aptasia thankfully!!

haha, that was a lot of questions, but i am just loving doing this tank, it's my ( and my hubby, thank goodness) new baby!! it's all so exciting!!

thanks in advance to all!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new tank new stuff 113.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	28947  

Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi, I am a newbie and very excited that someone who knows what questions to ask is starting up with marine. I'll be following your thread hoping to learn... well things I don't know I don't know. natascha

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

post all your test results up first,Amm,Trites,trates.
How long have you cycled for,if zero amm and trites check trates and do a pwc to drop any levels down,CUC can go in now and your first fish,maybe a couple of clowns,snowcasso,gold banded maroons,percs,
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
no maroon clowns in a 24 gallon! they grow to 5" and can be super nasty!
i think you should be able to keep whatever you want under that lighting.
the anemones might be majano anemones. just as much a pest as the aptasia.

how long did you say this was set up in your home?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your tank is cycled, then you can start adding livestock but do it slowly. The bioload of too many fish can disrupt the balance in your tank. +1 to Mr. X; Damsels can get nasty. I've always liked clowns (Ocellaris)and they're hardy. You could also go with Goby fish. As for corals, you probably need to wait to let the tank settle/mature a little. IMO
Old 02-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

sorry!! here is my water peramaters

pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 2.0 low range
Nitrite - 0

does this look ok?

tank has been in the home for 5 weeks yesterday first tried to do a fishless cycle, then read about the shrimp idea... had the spike last week

i am thinking i need a clean up crew i am getting green algae on my glass and one rock... any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of test kit do you have? Mine doesn't measure Nitrate so specifically. Very nice.
Anyway, it looks like you're ready for livesrock. I like Turbo and Cerith snails for CUC. Nassarius are also good for sand shifting.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

went to the lfs and they tested and wrote everything down for me.. bought the master test kit while i was there which i hear is the best??
Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
no. not the best, but it will do the job. salifert, and elos are both more accurate than the API test kits IME, but much more expensive.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

will the master test kit really be ok? i havn't opened it yet, should i take it back and trade for one of the others?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com