Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

newbee saltwater/liverock question

Hello All,

I have a 75g former african cichlid tank that I want to convert to saltwater. It has over 100lbs+ of former live rock in it and 3" of crushed coral substrate.
I do own a protein skimmer that I obtained from another tank trade.

If I start this tank up will the rock become "live" again after awhile?. I would like to eventually make this a reef tank. I'm a planted tank geek so I'm well aware of the lighting requirements for a reef tank.

Any suggestions on getting started?

Old 08-21-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to mr_tee0419
First of all spihunter, I would like to be the first to welcome you to aquarium advice. About your question. Your live rock seems to be completely "dead" right? It will only become live again if you seed it with some living rock. I would suggest to buy a few pounds from you LFS and incorporate it in with the rest of your structure. It will take a few months, but the coraline algae should start to grow and "revive" your currently dead rock. Different coral require different light requirements. I'm not sure what type of lighting you have from your planted tanks, and if they could be incorporated or not, but you will need an actinic (blue) light of some sort. The best suggestion I could give you about getting started is to read cover to cover "The Consciencous Marine Aquarist" by Robert Finner. HTH and happy fish keeping.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello mr_tee0419,

Yes, the live rock is long dead . I currently have a spare 48" 2x55w
CF hood to get started with (no bulbs yet) plus a 36" allglass light with a acticic bulb in it to supplement.

Thanks for the suggestion on the live rock. would this be enough light to start a 75g live rock/fish tank?. I also have several powerheads laying around that I could add to the setup.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I believe that you would be ok as a FOWLR. You may want to confirm that before you make any decisions, but the lr shouldnt be as light specific as other corals would.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks again!,

I'm thinking of getting a 4x65w coralife hood for this setup to add to the 2x55w . Maybe at first I could keep only half of the light on.

Here's the dumb question:

could I use cycled water from my african cichlid setup in the new tank?
It has a ph of 8 and a tablespoon of instant ocean per gallon in it already.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not a dumb question. I had the same idea. Unfortunately, it is totally different bacteria cultures. Increasing your salinity that much would cause them to implode from the osmostic reaction to the two salinities. Best bet for a quick cycle is live rock or live sand. If nothing else, try to get a little sand from a mature SW tank that you trust to "seed" yours.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

LOL!!. I wouldnt want any imploding going on!!. Thanks again.
I'm not really hellbent on a quick cycle. I was trying to make it easier on the first fish in the tank. (damsels). I will get some LR from the lfs when I set it up to help out.

Paul
Old 08-22-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Glad I could help. Seriously consider the Robert Finner book "the conscientious marine aquarist" though. It will bring you up to speed real quick. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Old equip is good to use. If you are planning on a reef setup make there was no copper used in the tank.
What dou you want to keep? We could give more suggestions about setup if you know what you want the tank to look like
Your "dead rock" will be good base rock, but I would look into some good lr from lr.com. But it will be fine to set up the tank, and start the fishless cycle
Old 08-22-2004, 11:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

@darb2

Thats the problem. I have know idea what I'm going to put in the tank. All the easy corals look really cool to me so I'll probably start there. Maybe buy a "starter" combo froman online shop.

Tags
live, liverock, rock, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com