Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
If none of you noticed I asked what I should do. But you guys just continued to show me how stupid I am for thinking that it might have been possible to recreate natures balance. I've been every where trying to get information and help setting up a SW tank, but every one tells me the same crap cause their too busy and too good for me. So I searched for this forum thinking that you guys might not be as stuck up as the SW fish stores around here. But that's not what I've found so far. All I want is for some one to tell me help me by telling me what I need to buy. (How big of a tank I have to have, how much live rock I need, if and how much coral, what fish are best, if I need any invertebrates). Sorry if I pissed all of you off but all I’ve gotten from SW owners is a stuck up attitude.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible to set up a balanced aquarium and could I do it with a 10 gal? If so, what would I need to achieve it?
The answer to this question seems to be no...you will need to change water.Thats what the people here do.They change water to maintain quality tanks.Whats the problem?

There is a sub forum for nano SW tanks if you wish to start a small one...but they will probably be all stuck up and tell you that you will have to change water too .

50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Wow, motomaster. I see where nobody was stuck up here. Just telling you the truth. Do you think maybe if EVERYONE gives you the same answer, and you continue to think they are wrong, that maybe you should reverse your thinking on the idea? To answer your question, you cannot create a saltwater tank(unless it is a large system) that is a "no-maintence" tank. And even those are tanks that have been set up for quite a long time. With "balance" comes a tank that has been standing and operating efficiently for, probably a few years. This is why we are telling you that it isn't practical. Until you have your tank up, and perform regular water changes then your just going to be setting up for failure. Your question was asked, and answered by many knowledgeable aquarists, in a polite manner.

People here would love to help you, but you don't seem to be bothering to listen to us.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry if I *beep* all of you off but all I’ve gotten from SW owners is a stuck up attitude.
Once agian...your questions was answered in an informative and polite manner.
Well Thanks for nothing guys. The cichlid forums are much better then this!
This is the only rude comment in this thread and it is from you. If you want good solid advice about the aquarium hobby, you came to the right place. We are more then happy to help. If, on the other hand, you feel we have not met your needs or have been "stuck up" in our responses, I simply invite you to leave...we will be just fine without you.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
If you are willing to go the more conventional route, a filtration system and water changes, then we can surely help you.
I believe if you re-read my post, or just the above excerpt from it, you will see I mentioned we would be sure to help you if you cared to do it the right way.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Holy Cow whats in the air this weekend???

If you took the time to read some of the post on the site you would no that NO ONE here is Stuck up. We try to give out good friendly advice when ever we can.

If your looking for a tank to run on its own and only toss food in once in a while then SW is not for you.
In a small tank you will need to top off the water DAILY maybe even TWICE a day in the summer.
You should have LR min 1 lb per gallon, 1.5-2 is even better, some sand for the substraigt. A HOB filter for some flow and or a HOB skimmer.
Lighting depends on what you want too keep, corals, fish, anemones?

SW and FW are too different things and most of us started with FW and know that you can cut corners with a FW tank and maintenance. This is not true with SW, cutting corners only gets you dead critters and a tank that looks like crap.

come back when your ready to slow down and take it all in and not be so negative
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #17
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

bala, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com