Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #1

Newbi wanting "balanced tank"

I have kept cichlids for many years but I am wanting to start a SW tank. I have read online about people having SW tanks that have a balanced ecosystem to where they don't have to perform water changes. I am in a small apartment with roommates so I don't have much room, so I was hoping to set up a balanced 10 Gal tank (since I already have a 10 gal tank). I would be willing to go up to a 20 gal but I really don't have much more room. All I "have to have" is one clown fish. Is it possible to set up a balanced aquarium and could I do it with a 10 gal? If so, what would I need to achieve it?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
It is not a practical idea and very few have accomplished it. None that I am aware of in a small
tank.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #3

Wow, that was quick. Why is it not practical? And what would you suggest I do?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Quote:
I have read online about people having SW tanks that have a balanced ecosystem to where they don't have to perform water changes.
Sorry, this is kind of an oxi-moron in the SW world. The only way to ensure a "balanced" eco-system is to perform regualr water changes. This is especially true for smaler tanks. Larger tanks, while more stable, still require some attention and regualr water changes are important. If you are looking for a hobby that is "low maintanance", SW tanks are out of the question.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
The only way to ensure a "balanced" eco-system is to perform regualr water changes. .
This is the most important thing you need to learn

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #6

Well Thanks for nothing guys. The cichlid forums are much better then this!
Old 07-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
The cichlid forums are much better then this!
Why? Do they give you misinformation that is more to your liking? You asked a question and got a perfectly acceptable (and correct) response. If you have kept cichlids for many years you would know that water changes are necessary for their well being.

verucaproduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Wow, I see some very sound aquarium advice in the posts above. If you are just too lazy to perform proper tank maintanance, I suggest you not venture into the SW world.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am sorry that we didnt tell you what you wanted to hear. I am sure if you look hard enough, someone, somewhere will tell you it is possible. If you are willing to go the more conventional route, a filtration system and water changes, then we can surely help you. You will NOT be able to do a zero maintenance tank. If that puts your 'tude up...sorry, we are here to tell you the truth, not what you want to hear.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_master
IMO the advice you were given was the answer to your question. Your question was."Is it possible?" I don't know of any tank SW or FW that thrives without water changes. I also don't believe that any responsible fish keepers or forums would advocate no water changes.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bala, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com