Newbi wanting "balanced tank"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have kept cichlids for many years but I am wanting to start a SW tank. I have read online about people having SW tanks that have a balanced ecosystem to where they don't have to perform water changes. I am in a small apartment with roommates so I don't have much room, so I was hoping to set up a balanced 10 Gal tank (since I already have a 10 gal tank). I would be willing to go up to a 20 gal but I really don't have much more room. All I "have to have" is one clown fish. Is it possible to set up a balanced aquarium and could I do it with a 10 gal? If so, what would I need to achieve it? :?:

It is not a practical idea and very few have accomplished it. None that I am aware of in a small
tank.

Wow, that was quick. Why is it not practical? And what would you suggest I do?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I have read online about people having SW tanks that have a balanced ecosystem to where they don't have to perform water changes.
Sorry, this is kind of an oxi-moron in the SW world. The only way to ensure a "balanced" eco-system is to perform regualr water changes. This is especially true for smaler tanks. Larger tanks, while more stable, still require some attention and regualr water changes are important. If you are looking for a hobby that is "low maintanance", SW tanks are out of the question.

lando said:
The only way to ensure a "balanced" eco-system is to perform regualr water changes. .

This is the most important thing you need to learn

Well Thanks for nothing guys. The cichlid forums are much better then this!

The cichlid forums are much better then this!

Why? Do they give you misinformation that is more to your liking? You asked a question and got a perfectly acceptable (and correct) response. If you have kept cichlids for many years you would know that water changes are necessary for their well being.

Wow, I see some very sound aquarium advice in the posts above. If you are just too lazy to perform proper tank maintanance, I suggest you not venture into the SW world.

I am sorry that we didnt tell you what you wanted to hear. I am sure if you look hard enough, someone, somewhere will tell you it is possible. If you are willing to go the more conventional route, a filtration system and water changes, then we can surely help you. You will NOT be able to do a zero maintenance tank. If that puts your 'tude up...sorry, we are here to tell you the truth, not what you want to hear.

moto_master said:

IMO the advice you were given was the answer to your question. Your question was."Is it possible?" I don't know of any tank SW or FW that thrives without water changes. I also don't believe that any responsible fish keepers or forums would advocate no water changes.

If none of you noticed I asked what I should do. But you guys just continued to show me how stupid I am for thinking that it might have been possible to recreate natures balance. I've been every where trying to get information and help setting up a SW tank, but every one tells me the same crap cause their too busy and too good for me. So I searched for this forum thinking that you guys might not be as stuck up as the SW fish stores around here. But that's not what I've found so far. All I want is for some one to tell me help me by telling me what I need to buy. (How big of a tank I have to have, how much live rock I need, if and how much coral, what fish are best, if I need any invertebrates). Sorry if I pissed all of you off but all I’ve gotten from SW owners is a stuck up attitude.

Is it possible to set up a balanced aquarium and could I do it with a 10 gal? If so, what would I need to achieve it?
The answer to this question seems to be no...you will need to change water.Thats what the people here do.They change water to maintain quality tanks.Whats the problem?

There is a sub forum for nano SW tanks if you wish to start a small one...but they will probably be all stuck up and tell you that you will have to change water too ;).

Wow, motomaster. I see where nobody was stuck up here. Just telling you the truth. Do you think maybe if EVERYONE gives you the same answer, and you continue to think they are wrong, that maybe you should reverse your thinking on the idea? To answer your question, you cannot create a saltwater tank(unless it is a large system) that is a "no-maintence" tank. And even those are tanks that have been set up for quite a long time. With "balance" comes a tank that has been standing and operating efficiently for, probably a few years. This is why we are telling you that it isn't practical. Until you have your tank up, and perform regular water changes then your just going to be setting up for failure. Your question was asked, and answered by many knowledgeable aquarists, in a polite manner.

People here would love to help you, but you don't seem to be bothering to listen to us.

Sorry if I *beep* all of you off but all I’ve gotten from SW owners is a stuck up attitude.
Once agian...your questions was answered in an informative and polite manner.
This is the only rude comment in this thread and it is from you. If you want good solid advice about the aquarium hobby, you came to the right place. We are more then happy to help. If, on the other hand, you feel we have not met your needs or have been "stuck up" in our responses, I simply invite you to leave...we will be just fine without you.

If you are willing to go the more conventional route, a filtration system and water changes, then we can surely help you.

I believe if you re-read my post, or just the above excerpt from it, you will see I mentioned we would be sure to help you if you cared to do it the right way.

Holy Cow whats in the air this weekend???

If you took the time to read some of the post on the site you would no that NO ONE here is Stuck up. We try to give out good friendly advice when ever we can.

If your looking for a tank to run on its own and only toss food in once in a while then SW is not for you.
In a small tank you will need to top off the water DAILY maybe even TWICE a day in the summer.
You should have LR min 1 lb per gallon, 1.5-2 is even better, some sand for the substraigt. A HOB filter for some flow and or a HOB skimmer.
Lighting depends on what you want too keep, corals, fish, anemones?

SW and FW are too different things and most of us started with FW and know that you can cut corners with a FW tank and maintenance. This is not true with SW, cutting corners only gets you dead critters and a tank that looks like crap.

come back when your ready to slow down and take it all in and not be so negative

Back
Top Bottom