Newbie 120g were to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmmeza707

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey to everyone out there.I have a 120g freshwater fish tank looking to convert to a fowler.I need advise on what i would need .I would like to have a sump but have no idea on how to get started.The only thing i plan on keeping is going to be the heaters.So could anyone tell me what am i going to need and which brands to go with.Iam going to start with about 50lb of live rock and add on later down.Thanks to everyone out there.

Start with these:
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank (STARTING OUT)

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine and another

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Let us know if you have any more questions after reading those <g>

And,
welcometoaa.gif

Alright i undertand everything about how to cycle my fish tank and the live rock.My questions are about the sump i have an old 15g tank would that be big enough.For my protein skimmer am thinking of this one reef octopus needlewheel 150 its rated for 150g would this work good or should i look at another one.Also what would you recommend for the overflow and how many powerheads would i need any suggestion on brand?Also i have my old fluorescent lights put i would like to upgrade what would you recommend.Thanks

Also I know it`s going to be a FOWLR tank but I`m moving this to the getting started forum.

Welcome to AA! You'd definitely want to use a larger sump for your 120. The 15 gal is just too small. You want a sump that will be able to give you an adequate amount of water flow for your skimmer to filter and hide your heaters in. Using a 30 gal long tank would probably work better for you (when it comes to sumps the bigger the better) and if you can swing it maybe even a 55 gal in case you want to add a refugium later on.

Your choice of skimmer is a good one, the octopus is highly effective so you'll be covered there. As far as the powerheads, check out the Koralia series. They can move some serious water and your looking to move 10x-30x your water volume per hour. Here's a link to some powerheads to help you shop a bit:
Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Powerheads

For the over flow box, if your not going to drill the tank, take a look at the eshopps overflows. They are great HOB overflows that will feed your sump at a good pace.
Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

Lastly, you don't really need to upgrade the lighting if your doing a FOWLR. If you plan to keep any corals or nems, then you'll need a lighting upgrade. Lights can get expensive quickly.

Back
Top Bottom