Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxVooDooxX
What's the highest ammonia count you had?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
I added 50 lbs LR first, then 50 more a week later then 70 more a week later. Didn't check ammonia at all. Figured it wouldn't cycle that quick with just LR. I checked first ammonia, nitrite levels 2 weeks after first LR added. No ammonia or nitrite on test. Actually no ammonia or nitrite since. Just got nitrate for first time today. So now I'm confused. So since I added three shrimp 3 days ago and have no ammonia or nitrite it would make you think I cycled right?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah sounds that way

Old 03-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxVooDooxX
Yeah sounds that way

Would this be the time to add some CUC? Snails, crabs, shrimp, or whatever else you would suggest?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I'm not positive about the right procedure. That's what I did, I put some blue leg hermits, nassarius snails and one turbo. Ohh yeah and an emerald crab. Lost two hermits and one nassarius but the others are great

Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you were adding live rock and still have the shrimp in then you are probably all cycled. You should be able to add some CUC in there, but remember it is still a new tank so you don't want to put in too many CUC because there won't be anything for them to feed on.

Also, you can throw in some flake food or something else and test the next day to make sure there still isn't any ammonia. I think you are pretty set!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sweet! How exciting!

Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
If you were adding live rock and still have the shrimp in then you are probably all cycled. You should be able to add some CUC in there, but remember it is still a new tank so you don't want to put in too many CUC because there won't be anything for them to feed on.

Also, you can throw in some flake food or something else and test the next day to make sure there still isn't any ammonia. I think you are pretty set!
Sweet! I'll get some this weekend then! Will do the fish food trick too, just to be sure. Thanks for the tip. I'll post some pics today or tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty

Ok. Cool! Thanks for the tip. I'll keep ya posted. Plus pics today or tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

you probably won't bet an ammonia spike, atleast not to much of it. you already have 50 pounds of cured live rock, which is biologically filtering to water, as well as its spreadign its nitrifying bacteria to the rest of the live rock thats in there.

the cycle you did two weeks before you put the shrimp in probably already started a small cycle with the little bit of die off that was on the rocks
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #20

Algae blooooom!! Lovin' it. What do you guys prefer for CUC? How many should I get for 150gal with 150lb LR? Should I do frequent PWC? Going to LFS this weekend to get CUC. NH3=0, NO3=0, NO4=20. PH=8.0. Temp 78-79. Only actinics on for brief part of day to make ricordias that came on LR happy. Afraid my halides gonna boil the water when it comes time for them. I have 150 watt hydor thermometer in sump plus submersible mag 12s x 2. I'm afraid MH will bring temp up to >80 then at night temp will drop causing big fluctuation. Any advice on this as well?

Tags
reef, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com