Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
So what's a bad fluctuation in temp from a.m. to p.m.? How much is too much?
I like to keep it as close to 78 as possible. I don't think 1 degree would be that big of a deal but I wouldn't try more than that. Like I said. Mine runs about 0.3 degrees on a warm spring day (75-80) with no AC running in the house

Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok, now you all can get off my back about the pics!! LOL! The CUC is doing awesome so far. They don't stop eating. Tons of algae for them to snack on so far. My 3 and 2 year girls are in love with my nassarius snails and the blue eye hermits.

As you can see I'm not getting out of the aquarium hobby any time soon as I build this sucker into my house permanently! That's why all you help is so welcome and appreciated. Otherwise I have to sell the house if I want to quit with the fish tank. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 034.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	32577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 038.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	32580  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 041.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	32581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 042.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	32582  

Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
you have a nice setup there coming along nicely
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow...that's ridiculously nice!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #35

So a big weekend in the tank. Reaquascaped the entire thing. More sturdy now. More tunnels too.

Then on Sunday I got my first fish! 2 Clarki Clowns (Nemo and Marlin-girls decided that within seconds of meeting them). Got a diamond goby as well to help with sand sifting. Fire shrimp and a cleaner shrimp as well. Everybody extremely happy in the tank. Will get anenome for clowns soon as well.

Quick question though...my green algae bloom seems reddish/brownish now. Did PWC 20% on Friday. Anything else I should be doing?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice.

I'd wait on the nem. They need a stable tank. Most agree that 9-12 months is the timeframe.

The cleaner shrimp is also an addition that needs more time. You'll definitely have to supplement their diet maybe 2-3 times a week in a brand new tank.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
So a big weekend in the tank. Reaquascaped the entire thing. More sturdy now. More tunnels too.

Then on Sunday I got my first fish! 2 Clarki Clowns (Nemo and Marlin-girls decided that within seconds of meeting them). Got a diamond goby as well to help with sand sifting. Fire shrimp and a cleaner shrimp as well. Everybody extremely happy in the tank. Will get anenome for clowns soon as well.

Quick question though...my green algae bloom seems reddish/brownish now. Did PWC 20% on Friday. Anything else I should be doing?
What's your light schedule? You should bring it down to 8 hrs to starve the algae. Also, check for phosphates and nitrates. There's a nutrient source feeding the algae and it's usually phosphates. Personally, I use Chemi_pure to help with the Phosphates and of course, RO/DI water.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #38

So what's best way to supplement shrimps diet? Same food I give clowns?

As for lights it's on 11 hrs actinic, 8 hrs MH. Think I should shorten it? Got ricordeas tho, won't affect em will it? I'll check out the phosphate thing.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sinking pellets. Pieces of krill - target fed. They'll eat most anything. I'm just worried that you won't have much for them to scavenge right now.

Yes, you should lessen your lights for now as you search for the source. Algae is always a "find the source and remove it" issue. Do you have macro algae in your refugium?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies
Sinking pellets. Pieces of krill - target fed. They'll eat most anything. I'm just worried that you won't have much for them to scavenge right now.

Yes, you should lessen your lights for now as you search for the source. Algae is always a "find the source and remove it" issue. Do you have macro algae in your refugium?
Caulerpa in my refugium. Along with LR rubble. Will need more cauerpa or chaeto or something. Only a handfull of caulerpa now.

Tags
reef, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com