Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Newbie 20 gal suggestions

Hi all, Im new to this forum and read articles for hours and hours the last few days. I am new to saltwater tanks but have had FW tanks for 20 years and curently have 4 FW tanks ranging from 55 to 180 gallons. So to cut to the chase I have former 20 gal quarantine tank that I set up with a UGF, Hagen 201 power head, an Aqua clear 200 HOB, Ebo 100w heater, 15 lbs of crushed coral and 20 lbs of live rock. The tank is cycled. Will I be successful with this setup using proper maintance? I would like to add 3 fish eventually my choices are a lawnmowe blenny, watchman gobie and a pistol shrimp, purple firefish and an oc. clown. I plan on just having 3 maybe I can support all 4? I dont plan on adding the fish all at once. Will I be able to get away without a protien skimmer. Thanks for all the advise!

Old 09-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would say yes but i would wait on the shrimp

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
That set-up should be fine as long as you don't want to get into a reef set up and you keep up the maintenance and water changes. Sounds well thought out and the planned inhabitants will have low bioloads. You may want to consider some snails to help with waste control. HTH

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yea this helps alot. I was considering some turbo snails after some algae formed on the glass. If this all works well I may convert one of my two 75 gal to sw as well.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I would advise a protein skimmer, if you're going to try three, or especially if you're going to try all four. Other than that, the setup looks really nice.

Add them one at a time, and I would advise starting with the clown(but that's only because I like them the best).

A 20 gal is a small tank, and while you might not need the skimmer the first month or two, you might want to get one on ASAP.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ayesha97 Send a message via Yahoo to Ayesha97
I'm suprised that no one mentioned removing the UGF.
I have a 20 gal sw tank with a bunch of live rock (easily 30 lbs), some hermits, snails, rock crab, some grass shrimp and one false perc. (had two... but bob has disappeared )
I have it running with 2 powerheads and a CPR backpak skimmer.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:50 PM   #7

Use Amquel decorinator!
Old 10-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

seaclone 100 protean skimmer works well on my 25 gallon with 5 fish in it

Tags
20 gallon, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com