Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 55g reef now I started just around November. I want to say that I was trying to save as much money as I could have in the beginning and just make sure you do everything right the first time. I would highly recommend a sump. I had an emperor 400 hob filter on my 55 and it was noisy and took up a lot of room in my tank. I took it out and ended up making a sump. It's still not done 100% correctly, but that's why I'm writing to you now lol. The fish that I added too soon, the hob I spent money on all the money I could of saved by being more patient and researching a lot. I have an overflow box as well and a return pump. I use a tank divider in my sump because it's a small 10g. The reason i have a 10 in there is bc now that the tank has been up for a couple months before I did this, I wasnt able to move it to fit a bigger tank under the stand. Set that up first. Have a full layout of what you want to do and then begin the process. I am buying the 120w dimmables for my tank. If you're doing a 75g, we need 2 fixtures. It's on ebay for $288 shipped. They're made in the US. I spent around $120 for the 4 bulb t5 that works well, but no growth. Plus the $ i'm going to have to spend to change the bulbs soon. Get the LEDs upfront - it's a money saver. Sorry for the long read - I'm bored at work and just trying to help!

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank ! It's ok that it's long lol I need all the help I can get !!!!! So if I do a sump there is a way to work around drilling my tank ?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

There sure is, right now my sump is baffless. Its a Temp setup but it hold my Skimmer and heaters.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. I did not drill my tank. I was too scared lol. I got the eshopps 800 overflow box off ebay. Then I got a pump from my buddy that I stuck in my tank and it returns the water back up to the DT. Depending on the pump, you may have to dial it back so it doesn't drain the sump too quickly but it's better than having it overflow. I went to the hardware store and bought all the hardware and plastic clear tubes for the drain and the return line. Works good I just need to re-do my sump bc right now it's just a 10g no baffles or anything just open 10g tank w/ filter sock/ small breeder basket w/ chaeto and grape culerpa, i threw my 2 biowheels from my old hob in there, then i have one of those tank dividers and the other side of the tank just has the return. It's kind of ghetto rigged right now, but I didn't know how to make baffles and didn't want to spend the $ on a pre-made sump. But it's easy if you have the time and money.

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com