Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok so when I get may tank going what can I get to put in it until it has cycled long enough for fish ?

Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Raw shrimp! Put it in pantyhose so its easier to get out after remember to test throughout so you can see the rise of ammonia, then nitrite then finally nitrate...

Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok I will do that ..... Is there any kind of reef life i can put in there before I do fish ? And how soon can I put them in ?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's best to wait, that's the hardest part - looking at a tank full of rocks for 4-5 weeks! But worth the wait for sure, not worth risking a dead fish early in the game. You ready to start the cycle? How is the set up going?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

No I'm taking it very slow I don want to kill anything I haven't even started setting it up to cycle I'm going to e buying the stuff to start the set up soon (just have the tank at the moment) .... I was told by my lfs to use a HOB instead of the sump ... Do I need the to set a tank up underneath for those like I would a sump ?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm doing all my research before getting everything running so I don't screw it up lol

Also what light is best for a reef/fish tanks ?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

No a Hob is exactly as the name suggests, it hangs on the back of your tank. I am not a big fan of these but perhaps someone else can chime in with advice on how to use it/what to run in it. Without a sump you will need a skimmer for sure on that size tank so you will also need a HOB style too. Try and get one rated for twice your tank volume if you can. This is one of the main benefits of a sump - it's a place to put all your equipment so you don't need to look at it on the display! You will end up with heaters, skimmer, hob filter and a couple of powerheads and of course lighting!
That depends on what you want to keep, for fish only it doesn't really matter, for reef that's a different story and you can drop a lot of cash here. LEDs are recommended, don't do what I did, go cheap and first buy T8 (thinking I would only have fowler) then a couple of months later upgrade to 4x t5 HO, then a few months after that upgrade to LED. Wasted money!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great thanks for the info! The sump stuff really confuses me I have read a lot about them and also I don't want to drill my tank :0/ ..... I do want to have both reef and fish so I'll be getting an LED light is there one you prefer over others ?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The taotronics LEDs are popular, you would need three for your tank. They are dimmable, check them out on eBay. Understand you are confused by the sump - I would be too! I do regret not doing a sump when I started so just trying to get you off on the right step check out some other people's 75's on here and see what they are doing and what works for them. That's the best way to do it I think, get someone's personal experience first hand.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a HOB Filter on my 55 at first, and personally Its a waste of money for a Reef tank. A Sump is going to cost you alot more then a HOB but long term, after buying filter pads over then next year or two you may of had your sump paid for IMO. Id go sump, it looks confusing but it isnt. It Helps alot more then it will hurt, Beside you can get a Overflow box and wont be drilling any tanks at all. People my talk bad about overflow boxes but im 100% Confident in my CPR overflow w/ tom's aqua lifter pump. Ive never had a problem with the prime failing, and I turn my overflow off 4-5 times a week for feeding. So if the power goes out the only way you will flood is in some how you aqualifter pump fails. Just keep it clean and you wont have to worry. I Havent lost a ounce of sleep over worry of floods since I got the CPR Overflow.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com