Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't treat your main tank with copper!!! BDAWG is right to suggest the use of a QT for the fish for treatment.

Copper kills inverts DEAD. You can treat the QT with copper as long as you don't plan to ever use it for inverts. Copper works. People talk about hyposalinity, too, but I'm no expert in this. In fact, full disclosure requires me to say that I've only experienced ich (that is, my fish have) in FRESHWATER tanks. I'm still new to SW, and hope to AVOID ich in my main tank by using QT for all new fish (although I put my first two fish into main right away, but subsequent entries will do the QT).

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have an 18 gallon container that has the rock in it. I am getting the QT ready for the fish..... then I am moving the lr.com rock into the main. I just hope it doesn't cost me my frogspawn or the few softies I have. I think the softies are pretty tough. Maybe I can get some pics of the clowns. I seen something suspicious popping out of the rock sin my main tank today grabbing a mysis shrimp.... kinda looked like one of those bad pods listed at melves website. Was hard to tell but from I have been reading no fish will be back in the main for over a month.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I just hope it doesn't cost me my frogspawn or the few softies I have
What, the ich? Ich won't infect inverts, as far as I know.

Good luck with this chore. I know how frustrating it can be. Keep us (me, at least) posted on how you're doing. Best wishes for a successful outcome!!

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #14

I meant going ahead and putting the rock into the main tank tonight. I think it's prob. best for the rock since the main tank is more stable.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #15

These are Preliminary Pictures

My batteries are charging so hopefully I can take some better pictures tommarow. This rock is way prettier in person, sorry my photography stinks but at least you can get an idea of colors and shapes of this rock.
Packaging:

Baserock:

Coral Rock

Old 03-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #16

[b]More pictures.....
Rock mix

One of the many hitch hickers Mr. Slick
[/b
Old 03-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #17

I ended up with a lot of sea stars, several urchins, several snails, barnacles, branch coral. What I think may be a tiny red and black brain, tube worms, several crabs, some sponge that I think will be ok..... the orange stuff was history and it stunk!

Other things I am not sure about. I'll take pictures some more pictures soon. After 12 hours in a 18 gallon bucket with a .25 ammonia spike I went ahead and put the rock in the main tank. Scrubbed all the stinky stuff off and anything loose was rinsed. This morning my ammonia isn't 0 ppm but isn't dark as the .25 ppm.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice stuff!! I ended up with a nitrite level of .3 before it started dropping.

Very cool hitchhikers. Good luck with it.!!

Livestock I added:

Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #19

Few questions:
At what ammonia reading should I change the water?

Since I have so many little serpent starts, do I need to get a bigger one in my clean up crew (of course it will be a little while before I get a cleanup crew)?

I have a few more pictures coming, need help on a few IDs, now I think the thing that I thought was a brain is an orange tipped zoo.. boy would I love that..... but then again I would love it either way. I am in desperate need of some lemon juice, it apastia paradise in the tank. Looks like I have a few different types of these pests.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard that lemon juice works, but that it has to be injected (but I'm not really sure of this). I can tell you that Joe's juice works www.joesjuice.com, because I've killed some BIG aiptasia with it. They actually EAT it, so it doesn't have to be injected into the stalk.

Livestock I added:

Tags
live, rock, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com