Newbie 75 gallon FOWLR setup.... input appreciated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopher311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I became very interested in having a saltwater aquarium about 2 months ago. I've spent endless hours online and have read a couple books on the subject trying to wrap my head around what I have come to realize is quite an involved hobby. I also realized no matter how much I study and plan, shits going to happen. It's been rather frustrating at times and my wallet has definitely decreased in size. And I haven't even purchased a single fish yet.

I've been working on a 75 gallon FOWLR setup for the last 6 weeks or so. I purchased a glass aquarium on craigslist and found a good stand for it about a week later. I knew early on I wanted a clean looking tank so I drilled the back and ran plumbing down to a sump underneath. I'm definitely no plumber and I can't even begin to count how many trips I took to home depot getting that all setup. It took about 3 incarnations to get a smooth runnning system that didn't gurgle or sound like Niagara Falls.

In the tank I have two Koralia 750 powerheads. The lighting was given to me by the guy who sold me the tank. Its two fluoresce
nt coralife fixtures. one with a white bulb and one blue/night bulb. I plan on upgrading the lighting eventually but as I understand it in a FOWLR tank the lighting is really only for my benefit so it's not a priority as of now.

I have about 90 pounds of aragonite sand in the tank and it is filled with tapwater currently just for testing out the plumbing/filtration system. an RO/DI unit is my next purchase along with a protein skimmer.

The tank drains into a DIY wet/dry trickle sump setup underneath. After being perplexed by sumps for a few weeks I ended up making a DIY sterlite system similar to the picture below...

Which brings me to my first set of questions. What media should I be running in this thing? I hear so many conflicting answers to this question. Currently, per the DIY instructions, I have a filter pad, phosphate reducing pad, and carbon pad in the top drawer and then bioballs int he second drawer underneath. (I only have 2 drawers in my setup) Considering I will soon have a protein skimmer, is this overkill? Keep in mind I need to have the top drawer filled with something to catch the water simply so my sump doesn't sound like a waterfall.

Anyway the drawers sit in a 30 gallon bin similar to in the picture. suctioned to the sides of the plastic bin I have 2 Aqeuon 150 watt heaters as a fail safe in case one fails. Also my mag 7 pump is in there as well to return water to the tank.

I guess that's about it for now. I've been going back and forth on what kind of rock to get for the tank. First I was thinking live rock but now I'm leaning more towards base rock from bulkreefsupply and perhaps a few pieces of live rock to seed it. Then it's on to cycling the tank.

I figure if things go well I will have a fish in this tank by 2017.

So that basically sums up where I'm at currently. I'm sure ill be here bugging you guys a lot in the near future.

Thanks in advance for putting up with me

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 236
Back
Top Bottom