The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawasakizx636

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
started my sw tank 2 months ago, and theres this white film flowting on the top of the water, can it be cause i have no skimmer.

Maybe so, did you try pointing your PH at the surface? I have read a lot of people with this problem have done this.

Is it an oily looking film? If so, I would do what Mike469 suggested. I had the same thing and more surface agitation cleared up. It could also be as Lando stated, feeding.

its not oily looking, its more like dust or something "white stuff".
and i'm feeding my tank frozen blocks but first i dissolve it in a glass of water, then just pore it in.

i'm feeding my tank frozen blocks but first i dissolve it in a glass of water, then just pore it in
Are you thawing it and rinsing it first? The liquid produced by the thaw can cause surface film and high PO4. Size of tank. livestock and feeding schedule?

46g bowfront, about 50 lbs of live rock. 2 clowns, 1 coral beauty, and a christmas wrasse. i feed them at 9am then again at 6pm.also i cut the cube in three, and use one per feeding.

I would cut back your feeding to once a day if not once every other day. feeding them too much messes with water quality.

I agree with ntswift. I feed every other day.

alright i'll try that.
but it says that the christmas wrasse should eat a couple times a day.
what kind of skimmer should i get?
i know theres lots of threads about skimmers but it seems like theres someone thats likes each one.
we need a poll or something to get everyones opinion.

What kind of wrasse is it, a Pinkface Wrasse or Bird Wrasse? Looke like they both will eat meaty foods, as well as live clams, crustaceans, and worms, so they might be munching on those when you are not looking.

its a christmas wrasse. i seen him eating the little star fishes and little snails that came with my live rock. but h doesn't bother my fish or shrimps.
also i was thinking of starting to put coral in my tank, any opinions on wich ones t get.
thanks

What kinda lighting you got? How's your nitrate levels? 2 months, white film at the top and no skimmer yet, I'd wait a bit for corals until you get those things under control. Plus that's a lot of fish in 2 months IMO. I'd wait til things settle down a bit and get consistent (water readings).

one of my cleaner shrimp ws stuck to the power head but then jump off and now hes on the bottom of tank, he was doing the bacon for a bit and now he looks like hes recovering legs look damaged. anyone know if he'll survive

"doing the bacon" as in: he was bouncing all over the place and twiching. so the legs do grow back? I hope so. he's always leaning to the right. i always think he's gonna fall in his side then die.

he's always leaning to the right. i always think he's gonna fall in his side then die.
Hmmm, that happened to my fire shrimp, he didn't make it, sorry to tell you that. I still can't explain what happened to him.
Is he eating?
I would suggest putting a small spong on the intake of the ph to keep your critters safe. Mine never got stuck to a ph, he may have already been sick and is weak.

Back
Top Bottom