*NEWBIE ALERT* 75 Gallon Start Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What all do you have on ur setup? Equipment wise? Also, when I first me and my friend was around 25 dollars per gallon for the entire setup. This number was what we were both around. This included our setup and livestock and substrate. This will change depending on higher end equipment and more costly livestock.

Keep in mind that a lot of people think starting small is best, but then eventually end up wanting larger. I feel that with saltwater, bigger is better. I'm already regretting buying my current 75g and wish I had stuck to my original 120-180 gameplan. I'm actually hoping to go 300g if I can find a good deal later this year.

I agree bigger better= more money=happiness=beautiful tank. The only difference between big and small tanks will be requirments for livestock. Smaller your going to have restrictions on what you put in there but can be just as fun. Never let not havibg a bigger tank stop you thats why they make pica tank which are less than 5 gallons ive seem them around 1.5 gallons small but they where really nice

Did you buy new or used on the tank? With or without a stand?

You will save money buying used prolly. Thats including the stand you have to watch put how the stand is set up bc you will want space for a sump under it if thats the way you go.

Craigslist has some great deals.

As far as size, I feel its good to figure out what you really want. If you are looking at larger Angels, most Tangs or fish that require larger tanks, its wise to go that size first. If the smaller fish are what make you happy, then smaller will be fine. 75 is a great starter size, but it eliminates a lot of fish. Jumping up to a 120-180 opens a lot of possibilities and I've seen 120s go for 75g prices on Craigslist.

My 75 will become a reef, but I find myself missing the larger fish I had years ago. i had convinced myself that i would be happy with smaller fish this time around, so jumped at a good deal for my 75. I wish I had gone 180.

Yea I started with a 55 and then found out its a hard shape to get what you want limited on width.only having 1ft. I now have bought a 140 and will be up and running soon. I wish I started out with a 75. It really is an all around decent sized tank especially 18in wide

Did you start a 75 salt? What is your setup? What was your start up cost if you don't mind me asking.

It was a lot haha with equipment and everything 2500 at the least that's for all the equipment total. But I pretty much bought brand name on everything so it will last.

Tank and stand came together as a combo. And 75 is the largest I can go since I live in a 2nd story apartment complex

What all do you have on ur setup? Equipment wise? Also, when I first me and my friend was around 25 dollars per gallon for the entire setup. This number was what we were both around. This included our setup and livestock and substrate. This will change depending on higher end equipment and more costly livestock.

I have a remora aqua c skimmer, marineland led reef capable light, two 1600 gph wave makers, a 120 gallon canister filter under the tank, and marineland heater. 75 lbs of sand, 30 lbs of real reef live rock and 40 lbs of base rock.

Did you buy everything new?

Everything was new except for the light which was only used by a guy on eBay for a month. Said he didn't like salt and to prove it was only used for a month sent me the original paper work for when he bought it.

I feel like going all new, especially with the tank, is a waste of money. I guess spend it if you got it though. I just don't got it haha

Just keep watching craigslist one will come up. If your close to another state you may try to type that into craigslist and drive to pick it up

Yea I have been looking up to about 3 hours in every direction. I am being patient and won't be buying until I find the one I want for sure. I will keep posting here with updates and also please feel free to keep posting advice. I am soaking it all in like a sponge.

Well while your waiting to find one do you have any questions about other stuff.

It was a lot of money that's for sure. If I had to do it all again I would go used.

Back
Top Bottom