Newbie - biocube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexilove

Aquarium Advice Freak
S this a good deal?

image-2863931039.jpg

I am wanting to set upa biocube and really need some advice!

Attachments

• image-164579461.jpg
    image-164579461.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 67
Crystal A said:
325 great deal! My cube was 600.

I contacted them and they still have it but I only have 21$ right now so ot will be a bit before I can save up the money): I found another for 250$ but they have not contacted me back yet.
I also know NOTHING about sw tanks...

Do lots of reading up before you start. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but the more ya know the bigger the payoff.

I've seen the new coralife bio cube 29 go for 399 and less. So I'm not so sure that's a great deal IMO. The coralife cube has a hinged lid and some other features I wish the Oceanic model had.

I'll see if they can lower it then maybe. And I will continue researching

Okay I'm confused about the water. Could I treat water like freshwater then mix the salt? Or should I just go look for a lfs that can mix some? I don't have much money so I need to spend as little as possible with out being cheap, if that makes sense...

You'll want to use either premixed saltwater or mix your own with Ro/Di water which you can either buy your own Ro/Di unit to purify water at home (the best option) or buy it from most fish stores or grocery stores. Tap water contains a lot of stuff that you can't really test for and can wreack havoc in saltwater tanks although a few cities/towns have very good water which can be used but don't bet on it being yours lol.

Lexilove said:
Okay I'm confused about the water. Could I treat water like freshwater then mix the salt? Or should I just go look for a lfs that can mix some? I don't have much money so I need to spend as little as possible with out being cheap, if that makes sense...

You can buy pre mixed salt from your LFS or mix it yourself. Me personally I get it every week from my buddy who owns a mom and pop fish shop. He uses Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

Petco sells pre mixed water as well. For top offs you can use distilled water from say the food store or CVS.

You'll need a refractometer to measure your salinity to make sure your matching it at the time of your water change.

They do have what's called a hydrometer which is far less accurate BUT I do understand budget and a lot of beginners use one at first then bump up to the fracto. I used a hydro for the longest time.

I'm am seeing that buying it from petco may be easiest... Thank y'all:)

On marinedepot.com they are about $260 plus a $100 stand or DIY stand or use something you already have. Congrats on potentially starting SW...addicting yet rewarding!

obscurereef said:
On marinedepot.com they are about $260 plus a $100 stand or DIY stand or use something you already have. Congrats on potentially starting SW...addicting yet rewarding!

Thank you!:) lol I'm already addicted to fw and I got really interested in sw cause of y'all:p

Back
Top Bottom