newbie,but learning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dramsfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up a 250 gallon salt water fish only tank. I really have no pending questions yet. I am always game for new ideas. I plan on having Tangs,Butterflies,angels, and eventually clowns. The clowns actually are my favorite. I am definately looking for friendly advice and/or people just to chat with about fish and stuff.

My tank is 7X30X24. 1ft is closed off for my pump,uv light,skimmer,filters,bio-balls and plants(to keep nitrates down). I currently have 20 damsels to cycle the tank. My lighting system is pretty awsome(I think). I run my blue light for 8 hours( combined in a day) and the normal bright florescent. Then at night i run my moonlights till morning. My favorite are the moon lights. The bottom of my tank is almost 4ft above ground. It sits on a entertainment like system built into my house. It seperates one room from the other. As soon as i can figure out how to send pics I will. I am very proud of it. Also, my tank is a see through tank. Makes it a little tougher to decorate.

Flame-on!
Not sure what you mean from this but it is far from helpful adive.
plan on having Tangs,Butterflies,angels, and eventually clowns.
that is an abitious list, even for a tank of that size. Sounds like you want a FO or FOWLR (recommended) tank. The next step is to pick out one or two "must have" fish and build the rest of the livestock around those. I would actually add the clowns first and the tangs last as they are the most aggressive. Please post a list of desired species so we can help more.
I currently have 20 damsels to cycle the tank.
Cycling with fish is a bit out-dated but most LFS still advocate this method as they can sell more fish that way. There are two main problems with using damsels...1) it is very hard on the fish and most will not survive the cycle due to the toxic conditions and 2) they are very hard to catch and get back to the LFS once the tank is cycled and you decide you do not want them. They are very aggressive and will go after even the largest tank mates. There is an article on "fishless cycling" in the Articles section at the top of the page you may find helpful.

Back
Top Bottom