Newbie; equipment & stocking Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katweet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to saltwater and am setting up a 10g nano FOWLR which may someday become a reef. 10g is my maximum as I may be relocating to a dorm room next year.

I've got one powerhead so far, an Aqueon 500gph. Is this enough flow, or too much? If I add corals, they will be green star polyps and mushrooms, will they thrive in this current? As far as bioload is concerned, can one have too many individual corals?

I plan on getting two clownfish OR a clown and a firefish or bicolor dotty. My LFS sells young-looking (1.5"?) percs from a single tank, will I have any aggression issues if I bring two of them home with me? If I get a clown and one of the above species, which do I introduce first?

Probably avoid clowns in the 10g. Not enough space without aggression like you said. I like the idea of fire fish and a royal gramma or dotty. Also goby on the bottom.

Never too many corals. But some are aggressive and can't touch each other.

It's good flow. To answer your question will they THRIVE? Yeah they will haha. But you COULD add more.

Last edited by a moderator:
That powerhead in a 10G would give out 50x the water capacity in an hour. Usually people tend to do 10 - 20x the volume. In my eyes a 100GPH would be sufficient it will probably blow the water out of the tank?!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This is the ocean we're replicating
You'd be surprised at how little a 500g pump does once rock is place and the motor begins to loose power from clogging and other reasons. I'd probably put two of the hydor nano 565 GPH (or aqueon equivalent) or one Hydor 750-850 GPH. I have the Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 on a 3g at full intensity. On paper that would mean I have 60x turnover... Water is moving nicely and like an ocean

That's fair enough still seems high to me but each to there own

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have GSP in my 10g an they have grown at least 5x their original size in a year. But their great coral if not little weeds. My are actually a strand of curly ones an my profile pic

Back
Top Bottom