Newbie FO Tank..Eek!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nevada

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
3960204943_9b5f9c0757.jpg

I hope I am posting in the correct place! I also wish I had found this forum before today. I feel like I did everything wrong.

I have a very new FO 90 gallon System 2 tank with a 50/50 bulb. I received it as a special gift in March. We had ppl from the fish store come and set it up. Then we went to the store and added decorations (not live) and damsels. After about 8 weeks the fish store guys came back and declared my tank ready for more fish. We had started with 16 damsels and now have 10 (4 blues, 4 b&w stripes and 2 blues with yellow tails). They are all pretty small. Our tank stats were 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, and a PH of 7.8.

Last night the fish store sold us 5 fish. We got a pair of Percula Clowns, Hippo Tang, and Henioches which had been in the same tank for 2 weeks. Then we bought a fame hawkfish from a different tank.

No QT. I didn't know and the fish store didn't mention it.

Today the Hawkfish is kinda hiding. The Hippo and Clowns seem to be doing alright. And the Henioches is hiding at the bottom in a corner at the back of the tank.

I'm worried about him! And I am worried I added too many fish. And I am worried I did everything wrong!

Any advice?

I did it the way I did on the advice of the local fish store. Then when my henioches started acting this way I found this site. Now I am totally worried because I realize I have done things incorrectly.

I am especially worried that adding these 5 fish will ultimately kill everyone!

Keep a check on the water parameters for the next week or so (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates) to make sure the new fish don't cause a spike. If it does, do a water change. If your nitrates start rising and stay up it might mean you have too many fish.

Welcome to the site!

I agree. I believe you will see an ammonia spike because of the added bio load but you can keep it under control by doing frequent PWC`s. What are your water parameter readings now?

I ran to the store and got a testing kit.

0 Nitrates
0 Nitrites
0 Ammonia
8.4 PH

Is it odd for a fish store test to say 7.8 and then a home test to say 8.4?

When should I see an ammonia spike?

I am worried that about your 0 nitrates. If you cycled your tank it should have some nitrates. Do you still have all those Damsels in your tank or did the store take them back?

I have 10 damsels.

Should I have more nitrates?

Another thing to consider....

Although the decorations are beautiful now, they will be very ugly soon. The natural process of a sw tank aging will bring things like diatoms early, algeas later on, various other things that look good on natural rock. Things will grow and it won't look pretty.

I'm wondering if the fish store has offered to come maintain your tank for you for a price. I'd get a good book, do some more reading, and consider not adding a thing until you know more without relying on the fish store folks.

What size is the tank and what kind of filtration?

Also, the heni and hippo tang are really sensitive fish for a beginner and a new tank. Who's eating? Are the damsels any where near agressive acting towards the new fish. Often, they can be mean little buggers and cause problems for even bigger fish later on. That can mean stress and sickness.

What kinda test kits are you using?

I don't know of this applies to salt water but... I had 0 nitrates until I was told to really, really shake the #2 bottle because sometimes it settles. Try shaking for several minutes then measure. It made a difference in my readings. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Well... It's good that you found this forum... :)

First off.. Welcome to AA... 90 is the perfect tank.. I say that because it will be my next tank...

Sounds like the typical LFS sales pitch.. Try to get as much $$ out of you as possible.

Also.. as Austinsdad mentioned.. Those decorations will be pretty ugly before you know it.
What type of filter did they sell you?

I'm so glad I found this forum!

I realize now I do not know enough. Funny thing is I was super nervous buying my fish the other day because some part of me knew it then. When I was young I had a freshwater fishtank for years. One of my favorite things was getting my dad to bring me to the fish store. I know that if you put too many fish the ammonia spikes. However 5 wasn't too many for my freshwater tank but I was afraid it would be for my SW.

My Flame Hawkfish died last night. Took less than 24 hours. Is that because of stress?

My Henioches was swimming around very well this morning but as soon as I turned on the light the henioches hid. I'd say one of my clowns (female) is looking a tad bit stressed as she was hiding last night but not majorly stressed. The tang seems good. She is a little shy but swims about.

The clowns are spitting food. Tang is eating. Nothing for henioches yet. This morning I am going to go buy something more tempting. Any ideas? I was thinking those frozen shrimps?

I have a 'System 2' filtration I guess. My husband bought this for me as a gift.

About my choice of decor. It seems silly but I didn't want live rock. I do not know if I ever will. Obviously I am going for a somewhat 'Nemo' tank. I want it outrageously colorful like a cartoon. I know my clownfish are not the exact Nemo clownfish but I thought the Percula's would be easier. I know my Gil isn't a Moorish Idol but again I am cheating a bit. I have hired some guys to come maintain my tank once a month to clean everything. For now I will just see how it goes. In 6 months I may have a different outlook.

Thanks for all the support! It's amazing! I've learned so much already.

A word on "Damsels"...Most start off really cute and passive, but as they get older they will turn into nightmares on Elm ST. Most Damsels and clowns are damsels, are very territorial and will defend an area of your tank to the death. Most likely it will mean the death of another damsel. One nasty is pretty bad for a tank, But WOW>>>>10. Anyway you can take some of those Damsels back and either get credit or exchange for another fish that you did some "Research" on.

Yeah I was wondering about having too many damsels.

I have 4 blues, 4 B&W Stripes and 2 blue with yellow tails. How many would you guys bring back?

Some of my blues seem a bit agressive.

I saw one of my clowns turn on one of my blue damsels this morning in a 'you better not' kinda motion which made the blue damsel move the other direction.

Either leave them or remove them all. Damsels are like cichlids and if you limit the amount of individuals they will unleash aggression onto other fish. I have a posting somewhere on here of the less aggressive damsels available (Search it :) ). If anything remove the b/w and blue's and replace with blue/yellowtail's and talbots. It is normal for damsels to pick on each other within their own hierarchies. By the way, the Heniochus will eventually outgrow your tank.

The male clown is eating. The female clown is spitting. My tang looks like she wants to eat but the other fish are getting it all. The henioches has not eaten.

As I posted somewhere today, Spitting is a normal way for fish to either kill their fodd source or break the food down to a size that he can handle.

I just checked again and my Ammonia is still 0 and Nitrites are still 0.

Back
Top Bottom