Newbie food question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewPhishGeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 29 gal tank with 40# of LR (lr.com) and a 3" deep sand bed - I've finished my cycle (AM 0, 'ite 0, 'ate 10). I'm going to start with a clean up crew consisting of:
1- Pepermint shrimp
5- Scarlet hermit
5- Blue hermit
2- Turbos

My question is what do I feed these guys - the choice of food is mind boggling.

Thanks for your input.

Well, I would actually hold off on the clean up crew until you have livestock in there generating some waste. Also will allow for stabilization of your chemistry before you add these guys in. 8)

If your tank is on a photo period, the algae should be enough for them. You can also feed them shrimp pellets.

To re-iterate, couple of reasons to add them after:

Inverts should be added to a somewhat stable tank
When you add your fist livestock,there will be transient spike and a mini cycle, so you want to get the bacteria going and the tank restabilized before you add these critters in
From an advice perspective, it is advisable that you start with some livestock and them add the critters, not before. Not to say you cannot do it the other way around. 8)

Thanks for such quick replies - now its as clear as mud :lol:

I may try to make some of the homemade food, I'm always up for some DIY projects!

I do have a bit of algea growth on the live rock and several feather dusters.

When I do get a shrimp are the dusters going to be safe?

Absolutely!!, I have 3 cleaners and 4 dusters in my tank right now. Absolutely no problem. All the cleaners want to do it eat. Its funny to see them at feeding time. As soon as they see me they swim up to the feeder and hand upside down waiting for the food! :lol:

However having the dusters, you have to be careful when you add livestock to be sure they will not have the dusters and the shrimp, for dessert 8)

A good reason to add the clean up crew first. Since the tank is new, adding inverts first will help to slowly build up your tank to establish a higher bioload. Fish contributes a lot to the bioload. With a new tank, not a lot the bacteria is established yet to break down the massive waste produced by fish. If the tank can't process the waste than you will have nuisance problems.

Which ever way you choose I would only add one fish at time so your tank can catch up with processing the waste.

I made my own food too for my invert tank. You could get frozen silversides at your nearest bait shop (if you live near the ocean). Also I slightly boiled shredded lettuce. And use brine shrimp once every week (you really don't have to).

Back
Top Bottom