Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Newbie Help.... buying used tank

Having a successful freshwater aquarium for more than 2 years, i want to move to saltwater setup. I am planning to buy a used tank, and need help with this.

Here are the details i received from seller. "The tank is 55 gal saltwater, equipped with live rock and live sand. The tank is setup with a wet/dry filter and high power/actinic light. This light is very expensive and is mandatory for people who want to grow invertebrates (I had clams and shrimp). The tank is currently still full and running"

My question is can the sand/rock remain alive without fish? Is there anything else i need to check or ask the seller before buying? Does anyone have ay ideas for moving the tank?

thanks in advance...

Old 04-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Make sure you find out what meds they have treated the tank with. Copper is a big no-no. If the seller has been feeding the tank to keep the beneficial bacteria alive, I would say yes. How long have the fish been absent and what is in there now?
Do a search on this site about moving tanks, I think you'll find tons of helpful posts.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

its a great idea to buy a used tank a cheap way to get started good luck
125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the replies, i am checking the tank tomorrow, will keep you updated
Old 04-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
One more thing, make sure it doesn't leak.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update:

Just checked the tank, its 55 gallon glass with stand and hood. It was full and running without any fish and had live rock and live sand. It also has 65W * 4 CF lights 2 10K and 2 actinic and a wet dry filter below the tank (looked like 20Gal) with protien skimmer in it. The rocks were covered with some kind of green algae (hair algae?). Can this algae be cleaned up easily? or i should look for other setups? The only reason i was inclined to this was because it was still running and had live rock and sand. i think it did not have any fish from past 1 month or so.

Also he is asking $550 and can get down to $500 Is this a good price for this setup? He also has a test kit and misc items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	13251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126_1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	13252  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124_1.gif
Views:	54
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	13253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124_2.gif
Views:	54
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	13254  

Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

with no fish in there for about a month i would question how much is really still left alive, assuming he hasnt been feeding it. The hair algae can be a tough battle, some can defeat it with decreased light times and smaller feedings where others spends months with no avail. Im not sure if you are pursueing this because of money or convience but either way you should consider price matching this setup versus doing it yourself and if its really worth the convience. I have setup all my tanks on a tight budget, buying dry rock and curing myself, while it takes a little more time its worth it because you know everything about the tank.
I set up my 55 for about $300 but i had a heater and lights laying around, and no sump is attached.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the reply. The only reason i was pursuing this approach to save money and will not be able to afford everything new.

If i get a new setup currently FOWLR and later have the ability to add inverts i thought i would be spending more than $1000. The setup will include 55 Gal tank, stand, wet/dry filter or sump, pumps, skimmer, lights, live rock, live sand, test kits and misc items.

Is there a cheaper way to achieve this?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
To be honest, I don't think that's such a good deal. It's cheaper than buying all "new" stuff, but not not by much. Plus you are stuck with what he bought, not what you want.
That isn't a whole lot of lr, maybe 30 lbs? They look pretty algea covered, but they can be cleaned up with no problem. As long as there is still water circulating in the tank, it will still be live.
Forget about using the live sand "as is". You can use the sand, but I would rinse the crap out of it with fw to clean it out. It won't be live anymore, but will be safer to use.
Compact flourescent are not "high powered" lights. They are the 2nd least intense lights you can use. Normal output flourescent is the only "weaker" lighting. You would be limited to soft coral and maybe some low light LPS (maybe).

Get it down to $300 and you got a deal
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the reply, I will try to bargain the price and if not then i will keep checking other configurations..

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com