Newbie help!! How much instant ocean salt do you use on 50 gallon tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark The Kidd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know that that you use half a cup for every gallon but how many cups would it come out to in a 50 gallon tank? Help would be really appreciated thank :)

Umm...25 cups (.5 x 50=25). There are instructions on the box/bucket that will tell you how many grams per liter (or something like this) to get a specific salinity. I believe 1/2 per gallon gets a salinity of 1.025 or somewhere close to that.

Yeah np! Are you just starting out? Going FOWLR, reef,? And since you're new, welcome to AA!

I've had freshwater but yes I'm new to saltwater :) reef tanks look amazing but not right now fish only thanks

Fair enough and yes reef tanks are awesome :D Maybe eventually with more experience you can get some easy corals and go from there. However, equipment for corals don't come cheap...Wish you the best with starting. IMO saltwater keeping is more addicting/rewarding than FW, but that's just me!

I'm super addicted lol hey I have another question. So this guy I bought the tank from told me it was a 50 gallon tank but for some reason when I would see other 50 gallon
Tanks they looked bigger. So I was a bit confused so I measured it out today and turns out that its a 37 gallon tank. Would you happen to know how much instant ocean do I use for my 37 gallon tank?

Your tank would fair best if you picked up a refractometer. This will allow you a far more accurate means of "measuring" than using the 1/2 cup per gallon method. Of course if you have to use that means you would use 18.5 cups of salt for 37 gallons of water. Although the displacement with adding sand, rock, will reduce the amount of water that you will need when you set up.

I hope that you're like 8 if you can't do basic math. Just multiply 1/2 x however many gallons. 37 gallons = 18.5 cups.
Basically # of gallons divided by two.

NicoleIsStoked said:
I hope that you're like 8 if you can't do basic math. Just multiply 1/2 x however many gallons. 37 gallons = 18.5 cups.
Basically # of gallons divided by two.

No I'm not 8 guess I'm just bad with numbers but thanks.

Back
Top Bottom