Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fist, most canister pumped become nitrate factories. It is highly recommended when having a reef aquarium that you make a sump. However again not necessary. The mechanical filtration will have to be washed out quite a bit, considering it will get pretty dirty really easily. My lights costed me almost $400. Order them online, much cheaper. I have a Nova Extreme with 6 54watt bulbs. 3 actinics and 3 10k's. which supply plenty of light for corals. Skimmers are much better than canister filters. I also recommend looking online for those. Most LFS won't have good skimmers and if they do they are way over priced.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thank ya justin

Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNewbie View Post
My first question to start off with the many I guess is what equipment do I need to get a tank started.
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #14

Ok I have read through the article posted several times and here is what I got from it.

I need roughly 110 pounds of live rock.

I need two powerheads to provide flow

I need a high output lighting, What do ya'll recommend.

What I dont understand is if I need a skimmer along with my filter and live rock if so what exactly does a skimmer do and also any recommendations here also.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would suggest a skimmer. A skimmer mixes air and water and pulls DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) out of the water column. Check out the Octopus line of skimmers (google it) they are very good and at reasonable prices.

Powerheads: If your target is to have corals then you want to go for 20-30x turn over or 1100-1650gph flow in the tank. The key to flow in the tank is that you want it to be as random as possible. Think how the ocean is.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #16

Ok so I will start doing some saving for power heads and a skimmer, how about lighting I am still completely unclear on lighting from purchasing to use of the lighting.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The lighting depends on what exactly you want to end up with in the tank. I am a fan of DIY so I get retro kits and wire them up myself. You have more flexibility by doing that. If you aren't into diy then you can look at complete lighting systems. They are going to cost you a bit more though.

For a reef tank with SPS, LPS Clams and Anemones you are going to need strong to very strong lighting. You will need to look at a combination of Metal Halide and VHO or Metal Halide and T5 lighting. If you don't want to keep high light demanding corals and inverts then T5 or VHO only will work for you.

Do some looking on the net to see what kind of animals you want and see what their lighting requirements are. From there you can determine what kind of lighting you are going to need.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #18

So if I understand correctly I am going to need Metal Halide and and VHO or T5 again i am definatly a newbie are there places to buy combos of both or do i have to build one
Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #19

Question

For example heres what I don't understand Justin says "I have a Nova Extreme with 6 54watt bulbs. 3 actinics and 3 10k's." does this mean he has three different fixture or did he buy them and they are all housed in one fixture also how do you know how long to run the lights for?? I'm very confused
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #20

The lighting can get you all kinds of opinions though. I am trying to stay away from the mh because of the heat they put off. I think if your not getting into the corals the require vary strong lighting I would suggest vho t5s. You can get them with moon lights built in also. I have seen some nice lights online for $400 too so they are much cheaper. Again though you are going to get a lot of responses to this subject. There is a good chart on line that tells you which lights will work for different corals. I just try not to add to much heat to the tank because your water will already evaporate fast enough without a hot light and fan on top of your tank. You'll also save electricty. The nova should be a good choice. It is one fixture that has 3 white day lights and 3 blue lights in it. You can control the start up and shut down for a natural environment. The corals don't like a blast of light all at once

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com