Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Awsome I will look for that now thank you!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #32

sure! That sure beats a $1000 light to.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #33

Your not kiddin I seen that and I about had a cow.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #34

If I buy the Nova Exteme kit will I need to buy leds for night lighting also obviously the lights go over top the talk how high are they to be mounted and do you still need to use a lid
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #35

I believe that light comes with leds in it. It should also come with legs to keep it up. I leave the lids off for better gas exchange. Your lids will get funky anyway and block light.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

lighting is the big question. It really depends on what you want though i have a 47gal high and I have a 150 wat compact flourscent system. It actually works better than I thought for my tank but honestly there is no such thing as "cheap" lights. expect to spend at least 150.00 give or take for a good lighting set up. For cost purposes, id stick with compact flourscents, you get alot of light for your buck and they are probably the cheapest lights in comparison. low heat so you usually dont need a chiller compared to metal halide's. but if you want alot of hard corals and clams youll want the metal halide or some serious flourescent's. petco sells a 24inch pwr cmpct, 1 10,000 k and 1 acinic blue, built in fans the works for like 209.00(thats what I have) and i have mushrooms, zoanthids, acropra, a cup coral and some other hard branching coral i cant remember the name of lol and they are all doing very well, along with my 2 clowns and a mandarin, clown goby and a pesky damsel that will live forever
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNewbie View Post
For example heres what I don't understand Justin says "I have a Nova Extreme with 6 54watt bulbs. 3 actinics and 3 10k's." does this mean he has three different fixture or did he buy them and they are all housed in one fixture also how do you know how long to run the lights for?? I'm very confused

Sorry for any confusion. My light is 1 fixture, with 6 lights inside the fixture. This fixture contains all T5 lights. 3 of those T5 lights are actinics, and 3 of them are 10k daylights.

Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

That is my light setup. you would be able to host any corals with this, and I have been backed by that state from many many reefers.

Metal halides are expensive, and in my opinion in a 55 are not needed. The Nova Extreme 48" with 6x54watts will work fine for you. At dr fosters and smith its $350 or right around there. they are still currently on sale.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #38

Alright ya'll the lights have been purchased they are on their way woot woot!

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com