Newbie here with a 55 gal empty canvas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that should do great for most corals. The lunar lights are cool at night. I think you'd be ok with a 6x54 also. I think the 8x54 is made for deeper tanks but it sure won't hurt to have more light. Just make sure it's not wider than the tank. Your going to want room to feed and adjust things

I'm glad to hear your really reserching the lights. It's easy to buy cheaper ones to get going but you'll probably end up upgrading later. I seen a web site that I believe was called aquarium lighting chart. It has all the tank measurements and what corals will work with different lights

If I buy the Nova Exteme kit will I need to buy leds for night lighting also obviously the lights go over top the talk how high are they to be mounted and do you still need to use a lid

I believe that light comes with leds in it. It should also come with legs to keep it up. I leave the lids off for better gas exchange. Your lids will get funky anyway and block light.

lighting is the big question. It really depends on what you want though i have a 47gal high and I have a 150 wat compact flourscent system. It actually works better than I thought for my tank but honestly there is no such thing as "cheap" lights. expect to spend at least 150.00 give or take for a good lighting set up. For cost purposes, id stick with compact flourscents, you get alot of light for your buck and they are probably the cheapest lights in comparison. low heat so you usually dont need a chiller compared to metal halide's. but if you want alot of hard corals and clams youll want the metal halide or some serious flourescent's. petco sells a 24inch pwr cmpct, 1 10,000 k and 1 acinic blue, built in fans the works for like 209.00(thats what I have) and i have mushrooms, zoanthids, acropra, a cup coral and some other hard branching coral i cant remember the name of lol and they are all doing very well, along with my 2 clowns and a mandarin, clown goby and a pesky damsel that will live forever

:confused:For example heres what I don't understand Justin says "I have a Nova Extreme with 6 54watt bulbs. 3 actinics and 3 10k's." does this mean he has three different fixture or did he buy them and they are all housed in one fixture also how do you know how long to run the lights for?? I'm very confused

Sorry for any confusion. My light is 1 fixture, with 6 lights inside the fixture. This fixture contains all T5 lights. 3 of those T5 lights are actinics, and 3 of them are 10k daylights.

Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

That is my light setup. you would be able to host any corals with this, and I have been backed by that state from many many reefers.

Metal halides are expensive, and in my opinion in a 55 are not needed. The Nova Extreme 48" with 6x54watts will work fine for you. At dr fosters and smith its $350 or right around there. they are still currently on sale.

Back
Top Bottom