Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newbie, how am I doing? (Love these forums!)

Good day all-
I am a saltwater NEWBIE, an AA forums NEWBIE(love it), and a marine fish lover!

I have recently purchased a 47.5 gallon Juwel tank and stand and set it up as a saltwater system. I would like to see if anyone has any advise on what to add, change, etc based on the following equipment:

1-47.5ga Juwel aquarium with internal corner filter, biological, with flow rate of approx. 160 GPH

1-Eheim Cannister filter #2217, with BIOMECH and ESUBSTRAIT, flow rate approx 250 GPH

1-Prizm Deluxe protein skimmer

1-200w Heater

22lbs- Live Fiji Rock (40# Keys coming from lr.com very soon)

Digital therm and Digital pH monitor

Crushed coral, 40lbs. for substrait

2-30W flourescents, 1-daylight, and 1 blue actinic

7-black mollies for cycling

1-red legged hermit for cleaning up a little.

It has been operating for 1 week now, my measurements are as follows:

pH-8.0 (adding buffer each day)
Salinity- 1.0235
Ammonia- 1.0 mg/l
Nirates- 30 mg/l
Nitrites- 3.0 mg/l
Calcium- 460 mg/l
Temperature- 79.6F

Am I on the right path, or is there anything else I need to be doing to increase the chances of having a ultra-successful FOWLR system? All equipment is operating fine, I just want to give my future inhabitants the best possible chance to survive and thrive.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,

Logan (logman17)

Old 11-13-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From what I've heard (from others more experienced than myself, I might add), you will want to trade in your Prizim for a different skimmer - I use a CPR, and Aqua C Remoras come highly recommended. I must warn you, I see a lot of complaints about the Prizms.

For substrate, you may want to go with sand instead.

Can't argue with your choice of live rock :]

And before I forget, welcome to AA!

Old 11-13-2004, 11:00 PM   #3

Thanks Corty!

Already looking into remora skimmer. I bought before I read these forums.

As for the sub-
I really like the look of coral as opposed to sand. Is this bad? I've read sand or coral will work good, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again
Old 11-13-2004, 11:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by logman17
Thanks Corty!

Already looking into remora skimmer. I bought before I read these forums.

As for the sub-
I really like the look of coral as opposed to sand. Is this bad? I've read sand or coral will work good, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again
Heard it can be a nitrate factory (luckily, I chose sand.. it seemed.. sandier).
Old 11-14-2004, 01:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Although the remora is definitely better, I've heard the Prizm Deluxe is much better than just the Prizm.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Your tank and filtration system is fine. Once you get all the LR in the tank and get it cycled, I think you won't need the biological media in the power filters. The LR should take care of it as long as you keep the bio load relatively light. By removing the bio media, you should be able to cut down on nitrate production some. I think you will eventually want to use the Prizm for a rifle target...a Remora will serve you much better. The rest of your equipment sounds fine. Lighting is OK for a FOWLR, but I wouldn't expect a lot of growth on the rock. You might want to think about upgrading to a PC system later. Your CC is fine for a substrate as long as you vacuum it when you do water changes. It will trap feces, uneaten food, and other detritus that will cause you problems if not removed. The only point I really disagree with is using the mollies to cycle the tank. You will have enough die off on the LR to cycle the tank. If you can take them back to the LFS, that would be the best course of action IMO. Since this is to be a FOWLR, you can add some more hermits if you want (once the cycle is complete). Using RO water will help with nutrient levels because you won't be introducing nutrients when you do water changes...this may cut down on undesirable algae problems. I think you're off to a good start though. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have and I'd pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" as soon as you can. It'll help you out a lot now and later. Welcome to AA.com!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
It's not cheap, so be careful... me... OUCH!

Recommendations from another novice:

- 1 more heater (back-up) -- titanium
- 1 don't use tap water -- use RO water (a system costs 150ish online)
- 30w is not enough light for coraline. You'll need 2 to 3 to 4 watts per gallon -- be careful though

...what they said

Very best of luck -- get "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist".

Old 11-14-2004, 10:38 AM   #8

Thanks!

Is using a delivered water (Purity Natural Spring Water) ok instead of a RO filter? I get 5ga jugs delivered, I thought this might be ok?
Old 11-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman17
Thanks!

Is using a delivered water (Purity Natural Spring Water) ok instead of a RO filter? I get 5ga jugs delivered, I thought this might be ok?
You can still get undesirable elements in this water. With what you are going to pay for this water in the long run, the RO would be a good investment. Plus it will save you the headaches that you would get from the algae oubreaks that may/will happen from not using optimal source water.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:14 PM   #10

Alright-

I've got another heater, and 35lbs Keys live rock on order today from lr.com (yea!)
looking into ro system, but will use aerated purified water for now.
Clarify- Usine 60watts of light, will this be minimum enough to keep coraline growing?
Might upgrade lighting in the near future.

Can anyone let me know if my levels are alright for day 8 or 9?

Thanks,

Logan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com