Newbie Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
so.. I recently purchased a Current T5 Fixture (T5HO 3-10k/3-460nm Actinics )

Of course, being a Newbie, I had the new lights running WAAAY to long and had a pretty bad Diatom Bloom. I assume it was due to my lighting schedule, but I'm sure it was also just part of my new tank cycling.

So, now everything is under control and I must say the tank is georgous.. Diatoms are all but gone and I believe I'm starting to see Coraline Algae forming on my rocks. My new lighting times are still cut way back.. Actinics come on at 4pm and the 10k at 4:30pm. Then the 10ks go off at 10:30pm and the Actinincs at 11pm.

My question is, would the Actinics add to algae growth. I'd like to run those longer if I can. See, I work from home and it would be nice to have my tank in view while I'm working during the day. Is it OK to run the Actinics longer? Like have them come on at noon instead of 4pm and keep the timers the same on the 10ks?

Is it bad for the fish?

Actinics are a good thing. They are esp. good for corals. I run two 160 watt super actinics bulbs with no algea problems.

Here's my lighting schedule with PC lighting, just for comparison:

9:30am - actinics turn on
10:00am - 10k turn on
8:00pm - 10k turn off
9:00pm - actinics turn off
moonlighting on 24/7

While I do have my share of bubble algae, I don't consider that I have an algae "problem". Regarding your diatom bloom, I'd hazard to guess that it was just the fact that it was a new tank and not your lighting schedule. Shoot... I still get a dusting of diatoms on occassion on my sand from time to time.

Thanks Kurt.. I like your schedule even better :)

I also plan to purchase lunar light in my next purchase online (need a few more things)

good for u goisles!!! The diatoms are gone!!! Yeah Kurt schedule is nice, I wish I can set my timer differently, time to upgrade the lighting system for my tank :)

Thanks Bawel.. I believe your advice helped me clean that junk up :)

I'm looking across the room right now at my tank.. I can't believe I waited all these years to switch to SW. I owe it all to my 3year old son who cracked the top support on my tank while feeding my African Chiclids last year. It was because of this, that I had to empy the tank to repair it and decided if I'm going through all this trouble I'm going SW!!!

My problem now is I look at it and wonder how I can spend more money on it :) .. I think a bigger Sump w/ Fuge is in order.. LOL

yeah it could
i.gif

Try to find a proper lighting schedule.

Back
Top Bottom