Newbie Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, I have finally took this dive into SW...have the tank up and waiting for the right equipment. It's a 29 gallon, used to be FW tank.

When researching corals and such, I read "requires low light", "requires bright light"...

Well..what exactly is meant by low light and medium light, and bright light? How many watts would I need? I plan on keeping just some low light and medium light corals, maybe some bright light ones.

I'm on the hunt for an adequate lighting system, and something that will help the corals thrive. Any suggestions? How many watts do I need? What is the best type of lighting? I've looked around, but have not gotten any definitive answers yet.

In my looking so far, I really like Zoanthids, Polyps, and Nepthea.

Thanks for your help!

Coralife makes a nice 2-65 watt hood that will do the job nicely For the softies you list.

http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/pic1.asp?CatID=ltpc&brandID=esu&itemid=LT-ES53103

Made me go and look on your site captivereefs!! Like this one?

Is there an advantage to the lights that hang above the tanks, compared to the ones that sit on the tank tops?

Not a bad price at all for this hood. If you think it will do nicely, I will probably buy it tommorow. Would it be ok for some of the higher light requiring corals, if I decide later down the line that I might want to go that route? Or I guess that all depends on the coral I get, huh?

Thanks alot!

Devilishturtles said:
http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/pic1.asp?CatID=ltpc&brandID=esu&itemid=LT-ES53103

Made me go and look on your site captivereefs!! Like this one?

Is there an advantage to the lights that hang above the tanks, compared to the ones that sit on the tank tops?

Not a bad price at all for this hood. If you think it will do nicely, I will probably buy it tommorow. Would it be ok for some of the higher light requiring corals, if I decide later down the line that I might want to go that route? Or I guess that all depends on the coral I get, huh?

Thanks alot!

I got the 4X65 for my 75gal from Darin and love it. I have not started adding any corals yet, but I should be in good shape to add low to medium light corals. One tip though, as with any of the stronger lighting sources, the PC's do put off some heat. Spend the extra $8.00 and get the mounting legs. This will raise the lights 3" off the top of the glass and allow for better air circulation. I also had to use a clip on fan for mine, but that is because they are under a hood and the tank is very near the wall so there was not a lot of natural air movement.

I got the 4X65 for my 75gal from Darin and love it. I have not started adding any corals yet, but I should be in good shape to add low to medium light corals. One tip though, as with any of the stronger lighting sources, the PC's do put off some heat. Spend the extra $8.00 and get the mounting legs. This will raise the lights 3" off the top of the glass and allow for better air circulation. I also had to use a clip on fan for mine, but that is because they are under a hood and the tank is very near the wall so there was not a lot of natural air movement.

Thanks alot! I think I will order this today, as well as the mounting legs. Will the pc lights (2 x 65) be enough for a higher light requiring coral? Or strictly low to medium??

You'll have 130watts over 29gallons. That's 4.48 watts per gallon.

I'm no expert on coral lighting (yet) but from what I've read, you should be able to keep any soft corals.

I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

Turtles, I've got to give you props for actually asking the questions before you went out and bought a bunch of stuff, only to find out later you didn't have enough light. Good luck with the tank.

That light will work great for softies. and most LPS. Just shy away from SPS and Clams and you will be okay! The only softie i would not keep under these lights is a yellow leather. I have zoo's, mushrooms a bubble coral and a kenya treee under my 2-65 watt set up and they are growing like weeds!

The light with the legs will help alleviate any heat issues you may have and it looks nice as well.

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. I'm off to buy the lights now!

Turtles, I've got to give you props for actually asking the questions before you went out and bought a bunch of stuff, only to find out later you didn't have enough light. Good luck with the tank.

Thanks Oafboy! My thoughts are...why go out and spend all this money and time into something, and have it fail? I don't mind asking questions. I'll be back with some more SW issues, don't worry!

Back
Top Bottom