Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie Lighting Question..

I have a new 90 Gallon tank that will be reef and fish and have a general lighting question.

I have a Coralife Lunar Aqualight that has 4x65 watt with 4 3/4 watt moon lights.

What kinda schedule should I have for the Actinic, Daylight, Moon lights?

Also how long should the lights be on each day.

Currently there is only a bubble tip aneome, Clarki Clown, some blue leg crabs and a few snails living in the tank.

Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
First, that is the bare minimum light at 2.88 wpg. The general recommendation is 3 to 5 depending on what you will eventually want. Second The daylights and actinics should run 10 to 12 hours a day and you can start the blues earlier and end later than the daylights so as not to shock the fish. The moonlights should run at night just like nature. Someone else will have to say whether that's enough light for a bubble tip. You might have to get it closer to the lights.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
For the lighting formula of 3-5 watts/gallon, is that total tank volume or actual water volume?

I have 140 lbs of fiji live rock in the tank.

I definitely don't want my salt water pets to not have enough light.

Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 90G tank as well with 4x65w Coralife retro. I added an MH 250w 14K light to it so I could have more inverts. diyreef.com still has the special going for the whole kit including the bulb for $149 if you're interested. HTH

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com