Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

newbie need help with lots of ????

Well, where do I begin? I am starting a 29 gal tank for my son (nemo boy..just kididng). Since this is my first attemp ever at a saltwater tank I figuered to go to the expert for advice. My goal is to have a small reef that is fun to watch and the of course is a nice habitat for some of the fish from the movie.

Right now here is what I have:

29 gal tank
Skilter 250 (built in protein Skimmer)
2x aquaclear 301 powerheads
24" 50/50 6000k bulb
100w heater
50# of fine sand (not alive) How can I tell if its is aragonite? it didnt say in the pkg.

I added the water and salt (1.024 @ 79 F)

Its a little cloudy...why?

I want to add LR to start the cycling process any sugestions on how much?

Old 10-03-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey, welcome to AA!

The usual LR recommendation is 1 1/2-2 lbs per gallon. If you're going to cure it yourself, add it all at once as uncured live rock should never be added to an established tank.

I think aragonite bubbles if you put vinegar on it--someone in the know confirm this?

The cloudiness is probably just the sand settling. It's common to get cloudiness from an algae bloom in a new tank, but since you don't have any bio-stuff in there I guess that's not it.

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
steve-s

Re: newbie need help with lots of ????

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33w_fish_guy
Right now here is what I have:

29 gal tank
Skilter 250 (built in protein Skimmer)
Your going to find the skilter a very noisy item. Make sure the tank is not near bedrooms. It does work well in most cases though

Quote:
2x aquaclear 301 powerheads
That's some serious flow. 8O

Quote:
24" 50/50 6000k bulb
The NO lights that came with your set up will not be of much use. You will need to upgrade these as soon as you can. Before you buy anything though, be sure you research the types of corals and such for your reef tank before purchasing the lights. The corals you wish to keep will basically dictate the type of light you need.

Quote:
50# of fine sand (not alive) How can I tell if its is aragonite? it didnt say in the pkg.
If you have any dry stuff left over, put a small amount in a bowl and add some vinegar. If it fizz's, it's aragonite. If not, it's silica. You can also remove some from the tank but be sure in either case it's discarded.

Quote:
I added the water and salt (1.024 @ 79 F)
All good

Quote:
Its a little cloudy...why?
The finer particles from the sand are floating in the water column. Nothing to be concerned about, they will settle.

Quote:
I want to add LR to start the cycling process any sugestions on how much?
Add as much as you can afford at the beginning. It's much easier and the more the better if using it to start the cycle of your tank. If added later on, LR must be cured seperately from the main tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

flow question

Should I take out one of the powerheads?

Looking for suggestions on how to get quality LR @ budget price, someone suggested to check w/ local dive shop?

Also what is a good recomendation for a standard light setup that work with mostly everything, I am not going for exotics coral or such, I do want to have an anemone or 2
Old 10-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
It is important to note that pretty much the only fish from the movie you will be able to put in your tank is The Clown Fish.

Everything else gets way to large. For example, the Blue Regal Tang, (Dori) get very large and the absolute minimum for this fish is 75 gallons.

also, the puffer fish will eat your clown, The Moorish Idol (Gill) will absolutely Die in basically every home aquarium. and the Yellow tang(bubbles!, bubbles!, bubbles!) Need lots of room and many feel that even a 55 gallon is way to small.

However, Fear not! There are plenty of good choices for a small tank. They may not have been featured in the movie, but they are just as fun and interesting to watch!

In a 29 gallon tank, I would not have more than 3 or 4 fish. Clowns really should only be kept in pairs, so you could go with 2 clowns and 2 CHromis, or maybe 2 clowns and a small goby. WHatever you do, stay away from damsels. THey are very aggressive and will cause major harm to your CLowns.

research, research, research, and have fun!!!

Welcome to AA!!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
steve-s

Re: flow question

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, these powerheads have an adjustment toggle that will allow you to restrict the flow. I would use that as apposed to removing a powerhead. Varying flow that two will provide is much better than the circular motion one powerhead would. I would simpley restrict the flow to about only 2/3 strength for the time being.

Quote:
Looking for suggestions on how to get quality LR @ budget price, someone suggested to check w/ local dive shop?
There are many "base rock" alternatives that are quite cheap whether they be dry or from holding tanks. You can then just get a few choice LR pices to seed the rest. Check the sponsor forums on the index page. You might also want to check E-bay and HiRocks.com

Quote:
Also what is a good recomendation for a standard light setup that work with mostly everything, I am not going for exotics coral or such, I do want to have an anemone or 2
Anemones are about a year (or longer) into your tanks future. For a 29 gal tank there are few except the BTA (Entacmaea quadricolor) that would remain small enough and still offer a good success rate for the set up you will have. Be sure if possible, look for a tank raised clone as it will greatly improve the chances the anemone will survive. Don't rush into keeping anemones, for the most part 90% of all wild caught species rarely live past 6 months.

As far as lighting is concerned, an "all round" no frills would be either 2x75w VHO or better still 2x96w PC powerquads. The PC's would give you a bit more flexibility on coral selection.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-05-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I recommend The New Saltwater Aquarium by Michael Paletta.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:28 AM   #8
steve-s

Re: flow question

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, these powerheads have an adjustment toggle that will allow you to restrict the flow. I would use that as apposed to removing a powerhead. Varying flow that two will provide is much better than the circular motion one powerhead would. I would simpley restrict the flow to about only 2/3 strength for the time being.
Sorry, ignore this (except for the two powerhead bit). The 301's are rated at 174 GPH each so you are sitting at the base level of good water flow for a marine tank. I musta been out to lunch, sorry for any confusion. 8O

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com