NEWBIE...Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all!!!.. Well im getting ready to get either a 55 or 90 gallon saltwater fish only tank and need some advice. I use to have a 55 gal about 6 years ago and I miss it so. Soooo where should I start? What type of filter should I get? Please any advice. Thank you

I'm new, too

I really can't presume to offer advice, since I, too, am new at this. I'm starting small - 30 gal, and have just ordered an AquaC urchin skimmer for a sump that I made from a 10 gal tank. I can use this for a larger tank, should I choose to upgrade. From what I've been reading, it pays to put some $$ into a skimmer that works properly with minimal fuss, so thats why I chose AquaC. That'll be my only filter -except for the live sand and live rock and a bit of fluff in the overflow skimmer. From what I've read, standard bio filtration only adds to eventual nitrate problems, so I've decided to use the Berlin method and forego the use of bioballs, etc.

I think I'll start a thread and post my progress here as I go.

I ordered my skimmer from marinedepot.com, and a TON of small stuff from bigalsonline.com. It's all due to arrive in a few days.

Only one piece of advice....Get the 90 if you can.

You have any idea about what you want to live in it? Fish only? Reef? That may have a lot to do with what type of recommendations you'll get from these fine folks here. There's a product review area at this site that mite help you also - in addition to any suggestions you might get from members.

Didja have the SW or FW 6 years ago?

Most importantly, welcome to AA. :smilecolros:

Thanks midiman! I plan on having fish living in the tank w/ live rock... The tank I had few years back was too a SW tank w/ fish. I had a wet/dry filter last time so should go with the same thing orrrr something eles?

I haven't started yet - I'm still assembling tank, etc. My plan is to use a deep sand bed filter with live rock and no bio filter at all (just a protein skimmer and some additional live sand and live rock in a sump). Lots of good google info on Berlin system with live sand and rock biofiltration. My plan is to get the tank and sump running, then add the sand and rock. Shortly thereafter (after more research) I'll add (if advisable) some sand maintenance critters and some inverts. Fish will come last - SLOWLY - after I'm sure that the system is relatively stable.

Fish waste can of course potentially lead to increased nitrate production, which the LR and LS should be able to take care of (from what I've read). I want a clown and some cardinals - NO DAMSELS - and some other cute bottom dwellers, perhaps.

If I can swing it, I want to post some pics, etc., along with info about my progress.

I am building a sump, and plan to try my hand at building a protein skimmer - if it works I'll use it on a quarantine tank and/or a garbage can for curing live rock (my intial rock and sand I'm going to try to cure in the tank - but I'm looking for QUALITY live rock to start, to minimize the time of the curing process. I have to think that even so-called "fully cured" live rock will have some die-off in transit, which will of course reinitiate a new cycle in the tank).

Let me know how you're doing!!

If only!! I would LOVE to, but space and $$ are limiting factors at this point. If I'm successful with the 30, I'll move up after I save some $$.

At present, i have a 90gal FW community (awesome angelfish) and a 55g cichlid.

Someday......!

I bought the 90 gal yesterday and i will be setting it up in about 2 weeks. Its the pre drilled tank. Has anybody had any lucky with these type of tanks?

you will start with the 90G, and want larger later :). Like everyone else said, get the largest you can. I am going to get a 300G for my new home this year and use my 90G for the sump. This hobby is very addicting!
You won't regret doing the pre-drilled. This is the best option yet. I have overflows, and wish it was pre-drilled.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom