Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hard to tell. Can we have a closer picture?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I recently purchased 2 sexy shrimp, one of them roams around the sand and LR but the other hangs out at the top of the tank. Is there any reason for this? or is it normal
?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #43
is back to save the day!

They are most likely getting used to their surroundings, and probably just foraging for food. Give them a week or so and i'm sure you will begin to see them going all over the place in search for food.

Also, a larger picture of that thing in the sand would definitely be a good idea because you can hardly see what it is in that thumbnail.. plus it's basically the color of the sand which doesn't make it any easier to identify lol. Right now.. judging by the fact that it does look sort of like a tube.. i'm going to input a feather duster, but i don't think we can really pinpoint what it is exactly without a larger more detailed picture.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #44

Thanks I woke up this morning and he is at the bottom moving around. I found out what the other small object was from the picture. It was a yellow polyp. One other question, I was told by my LFS that I do not need to feed the sexy shrimp as they will find food to eat. The only thing is I have not bought any fish yet for the tank so I am not feeding anything in there. Will the shrimp be fine?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you drop a little bit of mysis in there they will eat that until you get fish, because they would be eating what food the fish missed. A little bit of mysis, every three days should be fine. Make sure they eat it all otherwise your gonna acumulate phosphates and nitrates. If they don't eat it all fish it out and feed less next time.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #46

Are they fine without that tho?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Shrimp are part of a CUC (clean up crew). As long as you're feeding fish, there will be leftovers that blow into the rocks or sand bed that the CUC will dine on. Without fish, you' need to feed them something. VERY small amounts.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice Ray.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #49

came home tonight from work and noticed one of my sexy shrimp was missing. I looked around for a bit and found one dead behind a rock. The other sexy shrimp seems to be doing fine. i have had them both about 5 days now not sure what the problem would be? Maybe since im new this is a lot to me, but maybe this happens sometimes with tanks i dunno. Would my levels be off? would they not have enough food since i dont feed them? anything would be great
Old 03-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could be a molt of the Sexy Shrimp. They look incredibily like the real thing. Just wait for a few days and if the other doesn't turn up then it was the shrimp and not a molt.

Follow my 6G Pico build!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com