Newbie needing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcb8642

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently was given a Marineland Double bright LED light for my 14 gal Saltwater tank. I want to start out getting some nice colorful live rock, would this light be ok to use and still have the live rock grow and all? What about a few small mushroom corals. I dont want anything crazy just some rock and maybe small mushroom coral. Any input would be great
Thanks,
KC

I don't think there are many of us out there with experience with LED "yet" as Neilanh said. Have you read what the manufacture recommends this light for?

It doesnt seem to say much on what they recommend. But i guess im wondering how much light do i really need to just have live rock and a fish or two so i can have a healthy tank.?

If you just want live rock and healthy fish any light will do. do you know how many watts the light is?

It doesnt give an exact wattage but it says 450 lumens, not sure what that compares to. So basically If I want some nice live rock and fish the light will be fine? The live rock will still keep color and all? Sorry for all the stupid questions i am brand new at this and I really appreciate the help

It's about as powerful as a standard strip light. You may get away with mushrooms, but not much else. It's marketed for fish viewing, not coral growing.

Awesome! Thanx for all the help everyone who posted.

not that i dont trust mitchell but can anyone else atest to this?

Live rock doesn't really grow. It's called live because of all the good bacteria on it that act as biological filtration. Although when you first start your tank, you cycle it, to grow the bacteria on the rock (unless it's already there lol). Btw bacteria doesn't need special light either.

Just purchased some live rock today, the guy at the store gave me a scoop of some other sand to add to my tank. Well I added it and the tank water is all cloudy again. The pieces of live rock are still in the bags with water that they came in, should I go ahead and place them in the tank even though the sand has not settled? How long can I keep them in the bags with the water they came in before I need to place them in my tank.
Any info would be great.
Thanks, KC

I would put them in. The sand won't settle for a few days and the rock will start dieing. The bacteria will be fine in a sandstorm. The other creatures on it, will most likely be fine as well.

Back
Top Bottom