Newbie Needs Lighting Suggestions for New 120 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lxa4christ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a 48x24x24 120 gallon tank that I am going to be setting up with fish and corals (Eventually). It did not come with any lighting and I want to go ahead and get lighting that will support a wide variety of corals without spending a small fortune on the lighting. The lighting is going to be mounted inside the canopy. I really don't know too much about specific lighting setups but I know that T5 seems to be the way to go and I really want to do things right.

What kind of lighting would you guys recommend? Even a link to where I could purchase said lighting would be appreciated!

T5HO are rated for as deep as 24 inches but you might want to consider MH`s for your tank. You`ll need plenty of intensity in your lighting system.

Is there a complete setup that you would recommend? I would love to have something with timers built in, as well as some LED's or moonlights for effect/nighttime lighting if possible.

Thanks for the help!

I only have VHO`s so I cant help you but hopefully there are some T5HO people and MH`s folks out there that can post a link or two.

First off what type of canopy do you have? width, lenght and height please..

The canopy is 48x24 and about six inches tall.

And Mike, would VHO be an option for me to look into? If so, what type of setup would you recommend?

I really don't know too much about this stuff so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks!!

For a 24 inch tank you might want to consider T5ho or MH`s but VHO`s will work but you wont be able to do most SPS corals or High light clams. I have retro fits on mine.

Also IMO (in my opinion) MH (Metal halides) won't work either because your canopy is to low and MH's would over heat you tank. So you have a choice between VHO's (no clams) or T-5's.

If I go with T5's how big of a setup would I need? Would one of the 48" 8 bulb sets be sufficient for the size and depth of my tank?

Also what brands of lighting should I look at to know that I am getting quality lights? And any help with websites so I can look at some prices would be great too. Thanks!!!

faster if you do a google for:T-5 Aquraium fixtures
Look for fixtures that carry ATI, Gueissman (sp) or Icecap bulbs.
An 8 bulb fixture would be more then enough...pricey!!!
Sorry to say that most ready to use fixtures are cheaply made for the price we pay for them. I'm talking about end caps so look for a fixture with waterproof endcaps. I don't think they make an 8 lamp fixture with waterproof endcaps. The waterproof endcaps take up to much space,

Last edited:
So you have a choice between VHO's (no clams) or T-5's.

You can have some clams. I had a squamosa clam for 4 yrs and now have a derasa clam that`s doing pretty good. Just cant have any of the high light clams.

Back
Top Bottom