Newbie needs questions answered!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MAA123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I have some questions regarding my tank/setup/etc. First of all, I have a 75 gal. tank. I already have purchased the cover, Emporer filter (hang on the back kind), heater, thermometer, lighting, all the test kits, water conditioners. I am very confused about the whole protein skimmer/sump situation. I have seen protein skimmers that hang on the back, which is probably the kind I would want. As for sumps, what are they and is there any way that I could have one that was not in the way/ugly looking? I want the clearest water possible so I guess anything that helps is best. I am not planning on having any coral because the fish I want (mostly angelfish and butterfly fish) are known for eating the polyps. Can anyone give me advice on these things and also what type of substrate for the bottom should I get? Thanks![/b]

A sump is really the best way to filter your water. I have used Emperors in the past and they worked well. However, when I went to a wet/dry (similar to a sump) with a protein skimmer, and later a sump, I noticed a huge difference in water quality.

With a sump, you can place most, if not all, of your equipment (heater, skimmer, return pump, etc) so the tank does not look cluttered. There are hang on the back wet/dry's and refugiums. With those, you must move your tank forward to make room.

With the equipment you have now, a hang on the back skimmer is your best bet. When/if you get a sump, some skimmers can be modified to go into a sump, so you wont have to buy a new one.

As far as substrate, I (and almost everyone else on here) go with sand. It doesnt trap uneaten food and fish waste as much as crushed coral. That way, the nitrate levels in your tank wont go thru the roof.

Sand is the way to go. Also if you get a sump you can put it under your stand and it wont be seen,along with any equipment in it.

Back
Top Bottom