Newbie needs some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceneil

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and new to fish keeping I bought a 60l tank like a keen newbie I was pleased to see the tank came with with some tetra safe start. I filled the tank with some conditioned water and 24 hrs later added the safe start with the plan of adding fish shortly after unfortunately the snow came down and so obviously as the whole of the uk comes to a standstill I didn't go out and get any fish. Within about 12 hours the water has gone very cloudy green colour. It is 3 days since was added and still the same even more cloudy. I decided to now do a fish less cycle. I assume the safe start won't work now have not Added fish after reading what can Cause ammonia I read uneaten fish food can increase ammonia levels so I crumbled up some fish flakes and added them is his going to be enough to start the cycle or is that a really dumb question. I'm yet to do an ammonia test as the 6in1 test I bought does not test for ammonia only everything else I have ordered an ammonia test kit should arrive in next couple of days currently Ph about 7.5 kh 10 no3 10 I have test strips can't say it's the most accurate my next test kit will be a lot better.
So main questions apart from what to do next do I need a concentrated amount of ammonia to start cycle if so where can I get some. Should I start from scratch and/or do a water change to get rid of the cloudyness or will this go with cycling or should I just get some fish and hope for the best (only joking) I'm pretty naive about the whole thing I thought it would be less complicated But it is always something I have wanted to do so I'm very committed to doing it right So any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have never had any luck with the strips. I did a fishless cycle for my tank, it takes a while but was well worth it. Do you have any live sand, live rock? I used a couple of raw shrimp as my ammonia source, then you don't have to add everyday.

Thank u for your replies. It's freshwater tank will shrimp or something do for that could I use some frozen fish food or something?

Back
Top Bottom